• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the micro USB connector reliable over the long term?

Just noticed that I'm using the micro-USB connector on my Droid almost every day. Suddenly I get the appeal of Qi wireless charging.

2 Qs:

Is the USB connector actually a failure point after months & years of use?

I see ads googling {Qi Charger} ranging from $25 to as little as $6 for wireless chargers for the Galaxy.
Adding Droid only seems to find chargers from $30-$50; except for an Insten Qi for $15 , but the Malwart ad copy says HTC Droid.

Noobie Guidance please?:rolleyes:

I've been using USB, mini USB, and micro USB on various devices for years without a problem but that aside I think the convenience of wireless charging is very appealing. (Don't buy based on lowest price, more often than not that will diminish the experience. Look at a wireless charger as more of an investment than an expense.)

I have the Tylt Vu charger that holds the phone at a 45 degree angle next to my workstation.

The USB connector is not something that fails with use. The problem with the connector that keeps coming up is that it becomes dirty or full of lint or rusted. When this happens a poor connection is made. The solution is to clean it.

The Tylt Vu is very handy as a convenient place to hold the phone and at the same time charge it. Charging is very slow as compared to the wired charger.

... Thom

Love this cable: Reversible Micro to Reversible USB Cable, BlitzWolf 3.3ft Android Phone Double Sided Charger and Data Sync Cable for Samsung Galaxy S6 Plus Note 4 5 Edge, HTC M9, Xperia Z3 Z2, Moto X (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ME9XQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_r5UHxbY595VAE

Reversible on both ends, so you don't have to think about how you are plugging in. If you are going to use a cable, this is a great choice.

All of my phones with micro USB continue to work fine. I can't think of a single device where the micro USB port failed for me. Anecdotal, I know.

Like Thom, I use a Tylt charger for overnight charging of my droid phone. It makes it a lot easier to pick up and go when I get up in the morning, which is almost always before my wife does, so she doesn't hear me fumbling to disconnect a cable when I wake up.

'when I get up in the morning, which is almost always before my wife does, so she doesn't hear me fumbling to disconnect a cable when I wake up.'
There's a pretty funny Seinfeld-type joke in there somewhere..:D

The problem with the connector that keeps coming up is that it becomes dirty or full of lint or rusted.

You'd think they'd make the little case knockout a protective insert flap like the ones for the SD socket on laptops. (On the other hand, a pal who was trying to offload photos thought here was a card already in there and pushed the cover in so far we had to do surgery to get it out :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom