• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the u8800-51 aka IDEOS X5??

cabreco

I have a Huawei u8800-51 (that is what the about phone says) Android 2.2.2.
I got this from Consumer Cellular. Nowhere in the documentation or the screens does it say IDEOS x5 but the X5 seems to be the only one with the u8800 designation.

The reason I ask is I am looking to root my phone so I can remove bloatware and don't want to brick it.

Thanks

Hi cabreco, This link to Huawei Devices will show the U8800/U8800-51 which are under X5 Specs.

HUAWEI IDEOS X5 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Have a look at the bottom of the Features list where it refers to the U8800-51 is suitable for use with hearing aids users.
I get the impression that this model is the Impulse offered by AT&T. You should be able upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3.5 direct from Huawei. Neil.

Hi cabreco, This link to Huawei Devices will show the U8800/U8800-51 which are under X5 Specs.

HUAWEI IDEOS X5 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Have a look at the bottom of the Features list where it refers to the U8800-51 is suitable for use with hearing aids users.
I get the impression that this model is the Impulse offered by AT&T. You should be able upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3.5 direct from Huawei. Neil.

I think it is the Impulse (although no one at Consumer Cellular can confirm this) It does have a hearing aid compatability feature.

It would be GREAT to upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3.5 direct from Huawei.
In order to upgrade, do you know if I would I have to root the phone 1st or can it be done just by downloading the U8800 Andreoid 2.3 beta file direct from Huawei??

Hi, there is no need to Root the phone when the Huawei Download is used. I've upgraded both my X5's to 2.3.5 without any problems.
Just make sure you open the package and read through all the instructions and follow them and you'll be sweet. Neil.

I understand that this update will wipe out my personal data like contacts etc. Will it also wipe out my downloaded apps?
I assume it will wipe out my WiFi settings, what about my mobile web configuration? Will I have to re input this into the phone as well?

Sorry for all the questions, but I figure it's best to be prepared, especially if I have to contact Consumer Cellular for the mobil data settings

Hi, Do you have a File Manager App installed? Astro File Manager from Play Store is the one I use.
Also, App 2 SD free will enable you to save what you can/want from the phone memory to your SD card.
Nothing on your SD card will be wiped.
I used a separate SD card to do the update. I use a 2Gb card as they are less than $5.00 locally.

I had no problems after the update with WiFi or Web. Your SIM card has the necessary protocols for your your Provider and it all worked seamlessly when connected.
If you wish, make a copy of your APN's & VPN's & any other settings you know before you start.

As is advised in the Huawei FAQ's Manual,

2.1Forced Upgrade
The forced upgrade method is as follows:
Note: After the forced upgrade, all user data (contacts, text messages, and multimedia messages) will be lost.
1. Go to Support - Huawei Device Co., Ltd.. and search for the latest U8800 version, download it to the local drive, and uncompress it to extract the upgrade file.
2. In the SD card root directory, create a new folder named dload. Take the extracted upgrade file, UPDATE.APP, and copy it to the dload folder.
3. Insert the SD card into the mobile phone.
4. When the mobile phone is powered off, press the Volume +, Volume -, and Power keys at the same time to initiate the forced upgrade.
5. After the upgrade is complete, restart the phone, and continue to use as before.

Cheers Neil.

Well the update worked but screwed up my WiFi & Bluetooth.
I originally called Consumer Cellular to ask about the 2.2.2 to 2.3.5 Huawei upgrade & they said it was no problem (good thing because it it) After spending hours with them, I was given the number to Huawei support. The told me that the update is not intended for the USA phones & thus voids the warranty <sigh>

I called back Consumer Cellular & laid into them. They said that the warranty on the phone will be honored by them & to send them the phone back for repair.

So in conclusion...Huawei u8800 for the USA cannot be updated!

Sorry to hear your problem is USA only.
If you wish to Upgrade your phone, you may have to resort to Root.

I found the Gingerbread 2.3.5 makes the phone operate smoothly, start quicker and includes newer features.

You may need to have a look in XDA Developers Forum as they seem to get the Upgrades sorted with good help. Neil.

Sorry to hear your problem is USA only.
If you wish to Upgrade your phone, you may have to resort to Root.

I found the Gingerbread 2.3.5 makes the phone operate smoothly, start quicker and includes newer features.

You may need to have a look in XDA Developers Forum as they seem to get the Upgrades sorted with good help. Neil.

Gingerbread feels SO nice, and the screens respond very fast. If my carrier hadn't honored the warranty to repair or replace, I would definitly root the 8800.

In August it is out of warranty so I will be looking for rooting info then!
I hear there is an Oxygen Rom that overclocks from 800 to 1400!! :D
Thanks again for your help.

Yes, I agree, the phone seems to be smoother with 2.3.5. Sorry you weren't able to utilize at this point in time. Neil.

Well the update worked but screwed up my WiFi & Bluetooth.
I originally called Consumer Cellular to ask about the 2.2.2 to 2.3.5 Huawei upgrade & they said it was no problem (good thing because it it) After spending hours with them, I was given the number to Huawei support. The told me that the update is not intended for the USA phones & thus voids the warranty <sigh>

I called back Consumer Cellular & laid into them. They said that the warranty on the phone will be honored by them & to send them the phone back for repair.

So in conclusion...Huawei u8800 for the USA cannot be updated!

I had the same problem with the upgrade. Note that the 2.3.5 upgrade on the Huaweidevice website is from the worldwide website. Phones from Consumer Cellular are covered by the Huaweidevice USA warranty. If you try to upgrade with the file from the worldwide website, you will void the warranty. I found this out the hardway. If you are able to upgrade with a third party root let me know please.

I had the same problem with the upgrade. Note that the 2.3.5 upgrade on the Huaweidevice website is from the worldwide website. Phones from Consumer Cellular are covered by the Huaweidevice USA warranty. If you try to upgrade with the file from the worldwide website, you will void the warranty. I found this out the hardway. If you are able to upgrade with a third party root let me know please.

Fortuynately for me I discussed the update with Consumer Cellular BEFORE I did it. The person on the line assured me it was ok...As we both know now it was not. Since I did, they told me to send it back to them & Consumer Cellular will honor the warranty.

From what I have found out, if you root the phone, you should be able to flash the original 2.2.2 back into it.

Since Consumer Cellular will either be fixing my phone or sending me a new one, I won't be trying this again for a bit.

Is your phone locked to AT&T Provider only?
This will be the reason the WW upgrade will not be accepted.
It does pay to get a phone that is not locked to a Provider, but usually it has to do with cost and Terms & Deals offered.
You may be able to negotiate a cost to get the phone unlocked by AT&T. It's usually a minimum of around $75.00 or the contract may state after 12 months contract the phone can be unlocked free.
It will be determined by the term of the contract. ie. 12/24/36 months.

With my phones, they were not SIM locked, so the Official Upgrade downloaded from Huawei was installed with out problem.
As stated earlier, Rooting is the only other option, but, warranty will be voided. All the best. Neil.

Back
Top Bottom