• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a browser that actually works?

I get really frustrated that most things on Android never actually do what I want them to do. And then I get more frustrated that Googling for problems on Android apps I get a bunch of results relating to the Windows versions. I must be getting old but things used to be better than this :(

I tried Opera and Chrome for Android which do mostly what I want. But both just freeze all the time. I can be browsing a page and it just freezes when I try to scroll a page so I have to close and start again. I've reset the data and cleared the cache several times to no avail. I've got the latest versions, it just keeps happening. I've given up on them. I'd happily use Firefox, but one of the things I want to do, I can't do - I want to long tap in an email message field and paste the text I composed earlier in a text editor while offline. For some reason long tapping in an email field in Firefox for Android does nothing - nada, zilch. I cannot paste my work into an email message, so I have to go back to either Chrome or Opera and hope that one or the other of them doesn't freeze long enough to paste my email draft and send it or save it in draft so I can switch back to Firefox to continue with it.

I have an Asus Memo Pad HD7 so although not a Kray supercomputer it has quad core processor and plenty of memory, most other things seem to work on it, I just can't get browsers to work in the way I want and not freeze up all the time? I just don't get why these things don't work surely there is something out there that will a) not freeze all the time and b) when I have copied a bunch of text will let me long tap and paste it into a webmail field?!

Thanks!

Yes I see your problem you need a browser called Puffin it has flash player in it and you can copy and paste. I got the paid version works nice try out if you Dont like get a refund or try the lite version in the play store

Thanks BRAINZ2013 for being helping everybody.
I just want to ask: is puffin browser secure enough? To be used for emails and say PayPal? Thanks.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
I really like Puffin and mainly happy with it but have found some pages don't render at all correctly - in my Hushmail webmail interface the text of previous email when replying is all squished up/overlaid on other text and if I delete it I get a bunch of phantom text that I can't select or delete. And my internet banking page stretches out forever... These seem to work fine in the other 3 or 4 browsers I've got installed (none of which seem capable of doing exactly what I want!)

I am still baffled why in a browser as big as Firefox there is no way to do something as ridiculously simple as paste some text into an email message! Has nobody ever seen a phone number or quote or link etc that they want to copy and then paste into an email?! Basic functionality!

So I still have the problem of having to use multiple browsers and as soon as I find one I feel comfortable with, I hit a problem which means I have to go back to another one to do the simple thing I want to do.

My search it would appear continues :(

Upvote 0
I've figured out that if I switch to the mobile view of my Hushmail I can paste into the email message field. Unfortunately I do prefer the desktop view on my tablet - and the site doesn't recognise my tablet as a mobile device so defaults to desktop view whenever I return to the site. Is there a way to make sites default to the mobile version?!

I use Hushmail about 18 hours a day for work so you can imagine why I would rather find a way that works as hassle free as possible! Am going to email Hush support to see if they have any ideas!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones