• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a podcasting app that has all these features?

zenbug

Lurker
Oct 11, 2014
Hi!

I recently moved from iOS to Android and I'm looking for a podcasting app that will suit my needs. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Configurable speed adjustment for each podcast
2. Ability to start each podcast X seconds in, AND end the podcast X seconds early (theme songs play at both ends!)
3. Configurable skip time for forward and backward commands
4. "The Leo Jump" (skip forward two-and-a-half minutes, the length of a commercial break on many podcasts) independent of the configured forward-skip setting
5. (bonus, but not crucial) Configurable volume preset for each podcast

On iOS, I was using iCatcher, which has all those features except #5. Downcast for iOS has all except #2 and #4.

On Android, I've tried Podcast Addict, Doggcatcher, Pocket Casts, and Podcast Republic. None of them have all those features. None have #4 or #5. As far as #2, some let me start a podcast a few seconds in, but none let me end the episode early.

I'm happy to pay for an app that does. Any such thing?

Thanks.

Skipping the intro is great, but I'm not sure why no one has added the ability to skip the outro as well, what with all the end credits on shows like This American Life and such.

It's great that Podcast Addict lets me change the skip duration per podcast, but that's not what I mean. iCatcher let me assign skip-forward lengths to gestures, so I could have multiple skip lengths per podcast. For example, for a single podcast, I could make the forward button on my headphones skip ahead 30 seconds, but I could alternatively draw an "L" on the screen with my finger and make it skip forward 2-1/2 minutes. In addition to that, I could swipe forward on the screen and make it skip forward only 10 seconds. This made navigating a podcast with a lot of ads really simple and fast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones