• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there a way to remove some of the stock apps without rooting?

pleon

Lurker
I just got this phone 2 days ago, it's nice and all (if I ignore the random rebooting) but I would like to get rid of a couple of stock apps, like photobucket, I don't use it even in my desktop pc =S

It's always running in the background and I don't like to have to go to the options and close it manually every time the phone restarts, I tried going into the options but the uninstall button is disabled =/

I just got this phone 2 days ago, it's nice and all (if I ignore the random rebooting) but I would like to get rid of a couple of stock apps, like photobucket, I don't use it even in my desktop pc =S

It's always running in the background and I don't like to have to go to the options and close it manually every time the phone restarts, I tried going into the options but the uninstall button is disabled =/
Most of the apps that come with the phone are installed in /system/app while apps you install from the market are installed in /data/app. The apps in the system (/system/app) are installable unless you have root access, which is why the uninstall button is disabled. As far as I know, you cannot uninstall system apps without root access.

Aww man, that sucks, I guess there's no choice but to wait until somebody comes up with a way to root this phone =(

I was just about to post this same question. I don't use twitter, facebook or photobucket. It'd be nice to remove those pieces of clutter. Guess we'll have to wait a bit....

Joe

Do what i did, I don;t have an LG I have a Samsung Epic, I used to have a rooted Moment but I upgraded, and this one works just fine unrooted, but I have teh apps thath I really dont; want to use liek Spring ID a couple of game demos and stuff like that, what I did was I downloaded and installed GO LAUNCHER. It had teh ability to hide icons, simply choose the ones you don't want and they are not in the list anymore. Your phone will NOT be rooted, and you won't see the apps or accidentally click them :), Unless you need more memory, then you will have to root teh phone to get rid of them, But there are programs that close teh apps and keep them closed so they don't start and use memory.

U can root the phone already, its an app called gingerbreak
Just got to 4shared.com and download it then root in seconds, use titanium backup to remove apps, but make sure u do not erase Google based apps BC they aren't just apps they are part of the software to run the phone

U can root the phone already, its an app called gingerbreak
Just got to 4shared.com and download it then root in seconds, use titanium backup to remove apps, but make sure u do not erase Google based apps BC they aren't just apps they are part of the software to run the phone

Is it really that simple? Can a guy who knows nothing about what he is doing, do this without screwing up my phone? You make it sound easy, is it? There is so much preinstalled junk I do not want.

You download and install gingerbreak. Shows up as an app on your phone. Press root. Your phone is now rooted

Back
Top Bottom