• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a way to WIRELESSLY transfer files from computer to desire?

jason-567

My computer doesnt have blutooth but i think there must be some app out there where i can just browse my computers data over wifi and transfer them to my phone over wifi? is this possible? and what app would i need?

There are apps that let you do that provided both phone and PC are on the same Wifi networks, but I can't remember one off hand. Of course, there's also SwiFTP.

I used dropbox anyway so I rate it as a decent service.Not installed the app. Funny really when I was considering an IPhone this would have been one of the only ways to use it as a storage device.

Try HomePipe. You can also browse your PC folder over a data connection as well as Wi-Fi.

dropbox is very good and i also use FTPserver (and a pc FTP client) to directly transfer files from the PC to the phone via wireless.

If all else fails you could always get yourself a bluetooth dongle.

They're cheap enough.

Mini Bluetooth USB Dongle Adapter for PC Cell Phone PDA on eBay (end time 28-Jun-10 16:22:56 BST)

If you're also already using Astro, you can now do this with the Astro SMB plugin - just create a share on the PC and you can transfer files between it and the phone (I did this over the weekend to get some files onto my GF's netbook which doesn't have BT and I didn't have my cable handy).

I apologise for my ignorance, but can anyone tell me how to connect through wifi to my PC with estrong? I've tried scanning on the LAN tab.

I apologise for my ignorance, but can anyone tell me how to connect through wifi to my PC with estrong? I've tried scanning on the LAN tab.

Setup a shared folder on your PC.

Start EStrong, click the dropdown in the upper right corner (Change View) and select LAN. (It will pick up your PC), then select it.

I'm sorry: it's still not happening. I click on LAN, and all it says is 'Add a server by Menu>New>Server'. I've tried New>Scan, it scans, but nothing happens. I've got a folder on my PC which I've shared, and I've checked Permissions, and it's for everyone. My router reecognises both my PC and the Desire.

I'm sorry: it's still not happening. I click on LAN, and all it says is 'Add a server by Menu>New>Server'. I've tried New>Scan, it scans, but nothing happens. I've got a folder on my PC which I've shared, and I've checked Permissions, and it's for everyone. My router reecognises both my PC and the Desire.

Get the IP address of your computer and enter that into the server details.

If you are on Windows, you might need to go to the control panel and enable file sharing.

I had the very same problem when connecting to my Mac, I had missed out enabling file sharing!

Bumping this thread. What are current good apps for browsing your phone and sd card from a pc and being able to transfer to and from wirelessly?

I use Remote Desktop (free from the Market Place), after installing just switch on your wireless and it finds your router and gives you an IP Address to enter into your browser along with a 4 character access key.

You are then looking at your phone from your browser in a pretty standard format.

Very neat. My mate has an iPhone and this one application has him so envious :)

Back
Top Bottom