• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue after first underwater test! -SOLVED

Karlos83

Lurker
So I 'took the plunge' and tested my shiny new z3 in the bath.
There were a few issues with trying to take video as the screen doesn't work, but I can accept that.
The videos and pictures came out well and will be fun around the pool.
HOWEVER, a couple of hours later, I received a call and the speaker kept cutting out every second or so.
A few tests later I also noticed the speaker phone wouldn't turn on.
Anyway, it turned out there was still a small puddle of water in the headphone jack!
A couple of blows in the hole later, and its working fine again.
Just thought I would share my experience to hopefully stop someone else panicking.
Should Sony update their manual to dry with a towel and blow in the hole!

I'm sure the official manual says that there will be with sound for up toissues 4 hours after being in water whilst it naturally dries.

But in the spirit of this thread, here are some other tips:
NEVER submerge in saline water a.k.a. salt water

Because of the amazing ip68 certificate, you CAN use in chlorinated water but be sure to rinse thoroughly with fresh water when finished.

Goes without saying but make sure all closable ports are completely closed

Why not saline water? My pool is salt water and I won't be able to use it there then. What if I rince it properly after?

BTW love the phone, had an iPhone5 that replaced an S3 and this is miles ahead of both.

Why not saline water?

Primarily because the IP-standard testing is done with fresh water, I think. Salt water is denser so the IP68 rating of 30mins @ 1.5m may be compromised under such conditions.

What if I rince it properly after?

Unofficially? I suspect it'll be fine so long as you don't exceed the IP68 restrictions. You do so at your own risk, however.

Back