• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help It like the resolution changed 1/4" gap on sides

john5252

Lurker
Feb 23, 2015
I have a 8" Nvidia Shield tablet and it now does not show full screen 1/4" gap on the sides it has lollipop. But I have two other tablets nexus 7 with KitKat and a cheap 10" tablet and all of the tablets I have are having the same problem with not showing full screen ,has gap on the sides.I called android support witch was no help ,he said he would have to transfer me to a tech to fix my problem and would be $39.95 a hour.no thanks it doing it on three tablets ,all different brands and running different android OS's. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

You mean that suddenly the actual wallpaper or app no longer extends to the screen bezel, or that there is some "padding" between the edges of widgets and the edge of the screen?

If it's the first, which is what it sounds like, I've never heard of this before. There must be a common factor, which if they are different brands, different OS versions, and especially if it started at a similar time, the most likely is something you have installed, just not obvious what.

Upvote 0
I have not installed nothing new ,it was fine last night and now it is like the resolution was changed ,this morning I notice that it was not showing the full screen ,about a 1/4" gap on each side now. My other tablets I never use them no more had to charge one caused it was dead haven't used it in over three months ,but all of them have the same gap does not fill the whole screen like it used to. Has me very confused because they are all different sizes and different versions of andriod,but they all have the same gap ,they used to fill the full screen. Unless I am losing my mind .you can see very clearly on my 10" tablet that it is not filling the full screen.Android support said they could fix it for $ 39.95 ,I said it is doing the same thing on three different tablets that are different sizes different androd version .I have no ideal what it could be ,but I haven't downloaded nothing unless it did it automatically. But that 10 tablet was dead .I had to charge it before it would even come on so nothing could have automatically installed on it,I have no ideal.

Upvote 0
I don't know who "Android Support" are, but yeah, definitely worth working out what's happened rather than shelling out $120.

It is possible to change the display density, but it requires root and isn't something you'd do accidentally. And even then, I'd expect it to grow or shrink text and icons rather than leave an extra black border around the display. Just to check, that's there whether viewing the desktop, in apps or in the settings menu?

I've tried to find other examples of this, but not found anything really similar (a 6mm border is a pretty large effect!). Which makes it even more odd that it should happen to all 3 of your devices.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones