• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's started - TuneIn Radio pushing ads to your notification bar in a PAID app!

Lock-N-Load

Android Expert
Feb 8, 2010
WestSiiiide
I was appalled and bummed to wake up today to see my phone and tablet both had ads in the notification bar! The new bread of ad pushing has begun. I had read about the potential, but never seen it happen.. until now.

TuneIn Radio is pushing ads - in their pro paid app mind you - to the notification bar!

TuneIn Radio - F you with this lame double whammy!

Attachments

• tunein-radio-noti-bar-ad.jpg
    tunein-radio-noti-bar-ad.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 228
It is an advertising for that Radio.

It mustn't to be the app which caused
this AirPush spam !
The culprit might be an other app on your phone.

Search with an AirPush detector like Lookout's Ad Network Detector the culprit app.

Harry

I'm thinking it's TuneIn. When I woke the screen I saw the TuneIn logo at the top of the screen. When I pulled down the notification screen I saw this.

Upvote 0
Un-check it to disable push notifications. Mine was checked (never even noticed it) so I just un-checked it, we'll see what happens.

I sent them an email. They responded that they thought, in essence, I might like that channel.. I was like - WTF? I have never listened to it, and you thought I might like it? And you sent the same one to everyone? It is hardly tailored content and even if it is, it's wrong to push it to the notification bar.

Anyway, they claimed that if you uncheck that notification setting in the settings, they claim it will stop.

Well, this must have been snuck in a recent release as I never remember that setting and I have used it for a while - which I have now unchecked - and I told them it was really nice that they check it by default versus allowing you to check it IF you want in.

Upvote 0
Has nothing to do with this app, but I paid for a game on both my android and Ipad. WarpDash/Rush.
Same game different name between the platforms. After paying almost 10.00/full price for the games, a few updates ago the game maker started pushing adds for their other games during game play. kinda.
Your playing and then you die, when the game goes back to where you can start again you are stopped by BS adds.
I paid for these games so I didn't have to look at adds. Long story short. Games deleted. And will not be buying from that game maker any more.

Upvote 0
I personally wouldn't care if there was a box to uncheck, ANY app that supports ANY ads being placed in the notification bar gets an instant 1 star rating, an uninstall, and I never get another app from that developer.

Never had this happen in a paid app, but I would be furious!

Agreed. I hope this backlash is severe, swift, and just.

Upvote 0
I got the same message the other day. Before clearing it I checked for a setting in the app and disabled it. Even if it's that simple to stop the ads, having a paid app push ads to the notification bar and defaulting to allow it to happen is a scummy, inexcusable move. TuneIn (the app AND the company) are deserving of every negative consequence resulting from this move.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones