• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JB annoyances: Google Voice & Firefox

I upgraded from ICS to JB. Reluctantly, I did FDR too right after upgrading.... overall, I am disappointed in JB. Overall system performance has reverted to GB like performance.

Firefox performance was so bad I uninstalled it.

Google Voice: I think that the combination of GV and SipDroid is the culprit. I want/need a second line on the phone (local number for students to get in touch with me). I am trying to find out if my implementation is bad or if there are any alternatives. I want a solution that uses the data side to make and receive calls.

I realize that this is the Bionic forum, but I am hoping that the folks here might be able to point me in the right direction. Searching for "Google Voice" is fruitless as it returns too much.

Maybe there is a better way to getting a second VOIP number on the phone?

I would characterize everything as running in molasses. The system really lags when switching to the home screen. Swiping between home panels can be excruciating. Long delays between screen generation when trying to go to the Apps.

Making calls is really laggy too- after I accept the prompt to make the call without GV, the phone shows that GV is actually handling the call. It takes 2-3 confirmations to make the call and sometimes it will just flake out and not actually dial.

I installed SIPDroid and GV just like I had it under GB and ICS. I have it set to prompt me to ask if I want to use GV or native dialer because I want to choose what number the receiving end sees. Then SipDriod the same thing.
EDIT: This is how I implemented GV+SipDroid
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...voip-calling-using-google-voice-sipdroid.html

Executing a call in SipDroid also results in a locked screen condition.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, plese let me know.

Thanks

Dennis

Your problems are not shared by all. I'm extremely happy with JB and suffering no lag. By any chance, have you gone into recovery and cleared cache? I did that and cleaned up the dalvik cache in Titanium Backup (rooted). That cleared up any lingering lagginess from the initial update. I don't know about Sipdroid, but my Google Voice is working fine. Could you use any alternatives, skype, talkatone, grooveip, etc.?

Groid-

I have used the cache cleaner app to clear the cache. I will try the recovery option too.

How are you implementing GV? Does it use airtime to make and receive calls?

I agree that my experience is unique, that is why I decide to post here. Like I said, I suspect that it is related to GV + SipDroid.

Dennis

Are you using GV with aitime minutes or over data/Wifi?

Clearing the cache had not effect regardless which way I do it.

I am pretty certain that the main issue is with Google Voice and SIPDriod.

When I make a call, GV prompts me to choose between making the call with or without GV. Even though I select without, and the phone audio reports "Verizon Wireless" there is a pop-up that says "Calling with Google Voice" and it has the spiny donut system busy icon WHILE the phone is saying "Verizon Wireless".

Searching for Google Voice returns so many false hits I am having trouble filtering the results.

dennis

There are some articles about the new update 'Hangouts' replacing Google Talk that has presently disabled the ability to dial out with Voice. I searched on 'google voice calls' and read some of the articles. The feature should be re-activated at some point. That may be the problem. I just use GV for inbound calls, so I'm not having your issue.

Back
Top Bottom