• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JB Modem

smokinjoe1979

Does anyone know how to check on a rom if a modem is installed? I recently flashed "wild for the night cm10" and so far I love the Rom. The only issues I've faced are a severe battery drain and no 3g capability. I'll do some more looking on XDA tonight about flashing a modem for my phone that is compatible with my Rom. In the meantime does anyone have any advice to give? As far as the battery is concerned I've installed Greenify to see if that gives me better life.

As far as Modems, you need to be on an ICS modem for any AOSP ROM like CM10 etc. The TW JB modems are only compatible with TW JB. FL24 is the newest ICS modem.

For Battery, try DS Battery Saver which will will put your data connections (3G, 4G, WiFi) to sleep when you're not using your phone. It will wake the data connection when you wake the phone, and also at regular intervals for short periods to check for email.

As far as Modems, you need to be on an ICS modem for any AOSP ROM like CM10 etc. The TW JB modems are only compatible with TW JB. FL24 is the newest ICS modem.

For Battery, try DS Battery Saver which will will put your data connections (3G, 4G, WiFi) to sleep when you're not using your phone. It will wake the data connection when you wake the phone, and also at regular intervals for short periods to check for email.

Even though cm10 is a jb ROM, I need an ICS modem. Huh, seems strange to me. So how do I see what modem my phone is on? Where do I check that at? Will being on an ICS modem affect my cm10 ROM? Holy crap I need to do a lot more research into all of this. I don't fully grasp how modems work. Lol. I just figured out last night how to flash kernal and ROMs on the S2. Thanks codegerm for the heads up. Any clue why a ROM like cm10 would come out with the 3g data connection not working? I live in an area with no 4g for sprint or boost mobile.

Go into settings and about phone. The baseband is your modem. AOSP ROMS (even JB ones) came out before the TW JB, and as such they were developed to use ICS modems.

I can't find FL24 modem zip on xda. Links I find through Google include kernal and recoveries. Anyone who can point me in the right direction? Once I have zip file I can flash through cwm?

Ok. Flashed fl24. Now reading as baseband in settings. How do I turn on 3g? Should I have flashed a GB modem? Before I rooted and began flashing kernals and ROMs I was officially upgraded to jb 4.1.2
What do you guys think? Does that make a difference?

Nothing to do to turn it on, if you get a 3g signal it will show you. And you do not need to flash a gb modem. You want the ics one you just flashed

If the correct modem can enable 3g, can the same improve cell signal?

Some Modems do seem to work better than others for data speeds, but as far as the actual signal goes I don't see much change. They could just be doing a earlier ramp up of transmitter power and gain (those change as you get closer to a tower or further from it).

Back
Top Bottom