• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Jelly Bean 4.2?

consultant

I'm posting this hear instead of One X+ forum because there's not enough users there yet. I know One X was/is? ICS 4.0 stock so please don't flame me.

Just pre-ordered an HTC One X + from AT&T today. Comes with JB 4.1 I believe. Coming from iPhone (jailbroken of course.) I see there was also a recent announcement, something about 4.2 being released by Google to VOSD. Read some of the improvements in 4.2 and would love to have them. But frankly, I don't want to spend hours futzing with my phone or risk bricking it. On the other hand, I don't want to wait 6 months for HTC to release a 4.2 update.

Without any prior experience can someone with HTC One X Custom ROM Experience throw me a bone. Will there be a 4.2 ROM at some place like XDA Developers I can download that will be stable and how long do you estimate before it is available versus waiting for HTC?

I've heard good things about Sense, but if I consider myself to now be a lifelong Android user, isn't it better to get used to using a vanilla version of the OS instead of using some manufacturer-specific overlay like Sense? So should I install a custom ROM no matter what from that perspective or will I loose to many conveniences/features specific to the phone?

Finally, will I be able to go back to stock HTC ROM (whatever is the most recent version) for warranty/resale purposes if I don't wait for the HTC upgrades?

For organisational sake, I've moved to the One X+ forum, I hope that's ok? I'll have a pop at answering too. :)

I'll presume there will be a relatively stable 4.2 ROM very soon. The devs are normally pretty quick and unless there are massive differences between 4.1 & 4.2, I don't envisage you'll be waiting that long (although I'm not going to try to estimate).

I've found that aside from the camera, the benefits of Sense are minimal. It does have that element of polish about it, but it can feel clunky and it looks too cartoony IMO. If you do decide to root, experiment with different ROM, see what you prefer. The benefit of custom ROMs is that there's generally something there for everyone and with HTC devices, there's normally a good deal of choice so you're bound to find something you like.

Yep, you should be able to go back to stock, you can run an RUU which will reset your phone to HTC factory status. Alternatively, after you've flashed your custom recovery, take a nandroid backup and store it somewhere safe so you can restore that if you want to go back to stock.

Ya, I know there are a variety of ROMs to try. I'm trying to keep tinkering time to a minimum. Too many other things occupying my days with higher priority. Maybe I'll just leave it stock and call it a day.

I would be slight irritated to not have interface consistency as I go from device to device every say 18 months or so. I suppose if that were a primary concern though and I wanted to reduce tinkering, I should be getting a Nexus. Give me a Nexus 4 with 32GB and LTE, and sure I'll get one.

On the ROM's, my primary concern isn't going to be best features/functionality, it's going to be stability and longevity. I guess from stability standpoint, the no-brainer choice is "cleanrom?" Everyone loves CM10 but I always see the word "bugs" in the same paragraph. I suppose in 3 years, "Sense" could look totally different anyway. So I'm probably splitting hairs here.

Back
Top Bottom