• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean Update-How Goes?

bubbameat

Its been the best version on my stock note 1 LTE thus far. Its removed 2 out of three big headaches.
1.tsf shell the widgets no longer bleed through when tapping top layer screens.
2. No longer seem to suffer 30 delay when calling.

I love the new notification system and it appears to perform smoother and more fluid. Very happy so far.

I am very pleased with it too. Lots of little changes - especially with customization and makes this one of the best updates ever

Mine is not quite as favorable. Battery life has decreased a little, seems laggy-er. I like some of the new options, some not. I'm in a real mixed bag and thinking of going back to ICS. Maybe it's just the software pack from my carrier.

One thing I hate is it no longer shows the person or message in the notifications. It just says new message. I can't seem to find the setting to fix that.

But, since 4.0.4, I have not been able to use LTE. My carrier screwed up and it would kill my battery in 2 hours. Now I can access it again, so they fixed something.

One thing I really like is the little pop up browser, I find I use that a lot.

Mine is not quite as favorable. Battery life has decreased a little, seems laggy-er. I like some of the new options, some not. I'm in a real mixed bag and thinking of going back to ICS. Maybe it's just the software pack from my carrier.

One thing I hate is it no longer shows the person or message in the notifications. It just says new message. I can't seem to find the setting to fix that.

But, since 4.0.4, I have not been able to use LTE. My carrier screwed up and it would kill my battery in 2 hours. Now I can access it again, so they fixed something.

One thing I really like is the little pop up browser, I find I use that a lot.

Go to messages, settings , scroll to notifications settings, click preview messages

Upgraded to JB yesterday. It looks like it has a lot of new, fun, interesting, and productive features.

JB drains the battery really fast on my Note. This morning it was fully charged at 6:30a. Throughout the morning, I used my Note intermittently. I received and sent a total of 7 text messages and used Chrome to browse the web for about 15 minutes. I spent about 45 minutes on Google+. At about 10:40a. the battery meter was down to 17%. I turned off a new feature called, Google Now - thinking that it might be the culprit because it might be refreshing constantly and it might be draining the battery. All of the above was done while on LTE (never a wireless connection).

I am now recharging my phone. I'll have to see if Google Now was the culprit that was draining the battery really fast. I'll post again to share my result.

I tried doing a factory reset on the phone after the initial update through Kies and it doesn't seem as laggy. I have no idea why. I'll see if the battery life is any better the next couple days i guess.

I tried doing a factory reset on the phone after the initial update through Kies and it doesn't seem as laggy. I have no idea why. I'll see if the battery life is any better the next couple days i guess.

Factory updates after an OTA like this are recommended. Usually, the phone will have less problems. It's not guaranteed to be problem free but it helps

It's just a PITA, I remember my iPhone days, you restore and everything was how you left it, these android phones there is a ton of stuff you have to set up again after a reset. Takes me a couple hours to get it how I like it. I prefer droid, but the iPhone does have better restoration software.

It's just a PITA, I remember my iPhone days, you restore and everything was how you left it, these android phones there is a ton of stuff you have to set up again after a reset. Takes me a couple hours to get it how I like it. I prefer droid, but the iPhone does have better restoration software.

Rooters can create full backups and restores of the entire phone without having to plug into a bukly and slow program like iTunes.

I prefer it that way.

If you aren't rooted, Google will restore most of your apps and data after a reset if you allow it. All you have to set up is the home screens

I'm getting to the point that I want to explore rooting. This is my first android phone SGH-i717d. Now it it's getting aged. I am really afraid of bricking it, lots of horror stories out there. When I'm a little father out of the hole and closer to being ready to get a new phone, I'll go nuts. I'm pretty confident with changing stuff and experimenting on my computers.

Soon...!

Rooters can create full backups and restores of the entire phone without having to plug into a bukly and slow program like iTunes.

I prefer it that way.

If you aren't rooted, Google will restore most of your apps and data after a reset if you allow it. All you have to set up is the home screens

I installed JB yesterday without any problems, except the laggyness.

How do I back up to keep my apps and data if I do a reset?

Thanks.

I'm getting to the point that I want to explore rooting. This is my first android phone SGH-i717d. Now it it's getting aged. I am really afraid of bricking it, lots of horror stories out there. When I'm a little father out of the hole and closer to being ready to get a new phone, I'll go nuts. I'm pretty confident with changing stuff and experimenting on my computers.

Soon...!

RXpert speaks the truth. The rooting process for the Note is fairly easy. Just make sure you read before you root.

After you root, and flash a custom ROM or even just flash the stock JB ROM, your phone will seem brand new. I've rooted many devices. I don't buy anything brand new or on release day. I usually buy phones that have been out for over a year and root. The custom ROMs are so good, that a new phone isn't really necessary.

I am really regretting upgrading my phone to JB. It definitely runs the battery down about 25% faster and is really buggy and jumpy. Takes at least 2 minutes to shut down now and constantly prompts me to search for a network when out of range. (I live out of range, so it does it all the time on wifi at home) Many other small things that just don’t work very well and a couple of things that I miss, like being able to swipe a contact to dial that number. I do like the new S Memo but that is about it. I am very close to seeing if I can go back to ICS but am curious about the "factory reset" thing...

How does one do that? Are there any dangers involved? Will that go back to ICS?

Edit: actually, maybe I should look at rooting this beast. The only thing I worry about is warranty. (which is almost expired now) Will my carrier go crazy on my arse if I root it? I am on a 3 year contract.

It sucks that Samsung forces us to. I killed all the bloat I could without rooting and the phone is better, but not ICS better.:mad:

For me it was Att and all their crap, I must of deleted about 5-8 apps of pure junk from navigation to locker etc... phone feels much snappier next I think I'll delete samsungs crap

Back
Top Bottom