• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root JuopunutBear Screw Up - No Clue

EHokie

Android Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Third phone getting s-off. S-off succeeded, but failed to ask about new hboot. I can now boot to system, but can't get into recovery or write to it. Whenever I try to access recovery, I get the JB screen, and trying to push a recovery via ADB yields:

writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)

Anyone have any ideas?

I had something like that but I had to use jbear and cmd together. 1st I did flash recovery.IMG or whatever the command was but for some reason the phone wouldn't reboot so while it was doing it I clicked on bear and it rebooted it into boot loader but while it reboot I guess it flashed recovery. This isn't something I found on the jbear website I had to come up wit my own fix

Upvote 0
Third phone getting s-off. S-off succeeded, but failed to ask about new hboot. I can now boot to system, but can't get into recovery or write to it. Whenever I try to access recovery, I get the JB screen, and trying to push a recovery via ADB yields:

writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)

Anyone have any ideas?
That means your bootloader is locked. You need either an unlocked stock bootloader or a custom hboot to run fastboot commands like "flash" and "boot" and I recommend an hboot like JBear 1.50.5050 or ENG 1.04 rather than unlocking stock, but there is a zip file available now to change it back to "locked" instead of "relocked" if you do the unlock instead.

More details about it are in this post.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
That means your bootloader is locked. You need either an unlocked stock bootloader or a custom hboot to run fastboot commands like "flash" and "boot" and I recommend an hboot like JBear 1.50.5050 or ENG 1.04 rather than unlocking stock, but there is a zip file available now to change it back to "locked" instead of "relocked" if you do the unlock instead.

More details about it are in this post.

ramjet73

As an addition to what ramjet73 suggested, if you do want to unlock the bootloader you can easily do that by visiting this thread:
http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/662615-how-change-your-lock-status-flag.html
and flashing the unlock_bootloader.zip through recovery.

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones