• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got the Xperia Play, looking to tune it

SpawnHyuuga

I just picked myself up an AT&T Sony-Ericsson Xperia Play (R800AT) and it's running Android 2.3.3.

I'm not a total n00b to Android OS as I also have a Samsung Admire from MetroPCS that I rooted and flashed a custom ROM to. It's my understanding that the Xperia Play is much different though.

- Bootloader
Do I need to unlock this? If so, how do I do it?

- Rooting
Will I have to use the Zerg Rush for this? I have the Android SDK installed on my primary computer, and I have Sony's Companion software as well. Both USB Debugging and Outside Sources are enabled. Where exactly do I find the right ADB drivers as I'm not sure whether I have them or not?

It's my understanding that the Zerg Rush exploit will not work on this phone at all. I've heard some people say I have to pay to unlock the bootloader or I can go about it myself but I haven't turned up much yet. I'm fairly confident in my skills but I really don't want to end up with a useless brick. I've heard some people say to upgrade to ICS and then use a flashable ZIP - how would I go about that method?

- ROM
Any and all recommendations. I was thinking CyanogenMod if it maintains the Play's functions, but I wasn't fully sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom