• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root just rooted and now looking for a customized rom

I have just rooted my galaxy note 10.1 2014 LTE edition tablet and the tutorla I went through uses clockworkmods. I went onto there website and this model tablet isn't there.

I have downloaded rom manager. Where can I get a customized rom from?

1) Custom ROMs are rooted, so why did you root the stock ROM, when you're not going to be using it? (It's the ROM that's rooted, not the phone itself.)

2) What do you want the custom ROM to do that the stock ROM doesn't? Looking for "a custom ROM" is like looking for "a book". If you have nothing specific in mind, the stock ROM will give you the same thing a custom ROM will. The reason for running custom ROMs is to get the thing(s) the custom ROM gives you that the stock one doesn't.

So you have to decide what functions you want that the stock ROM doesn't have, before anyone can point you to a ROM that meets your needs. And everyone's needs are different. A custom ROM that, for example, played music much better, but didn't support GPS, would be useless to me. I don't listen to music on my phone but I need the GPS. For you, that might be the ideal ROM because you listen to music all the time and never use the GPS.

Thanks for the info, I enjoy modifying scripts on a desktop based linux system and thought I could do the same with android which obviously requires me to have access to system files.

http://androidcentral.us/2014/01/root-samsung-galaxy-note-10-1/

I enjoy playing with the technical side of the OS.

I never new a custom rom would not have everything the stock would have accept have more features, I guess I was wrong.

Thanks again

Ok so I shouldn't of rooted my rom, now when I try update I get"can't update a modified rom" so..if I download a tock rom from sammobile, will that fix that issue or even if I un root my tablet will that help.

It's not necessarily the case that you shouldn't have rooted your tablet but what Rukbat is saying is that it is not required.

However, since you have rooted your tablet, that will have caused one irreversible change, namely the Knox fuse has been blown (this is actually caused by replacing the bootloader rather than rooting but that's a somewhat academic distinction as you have to do that to root). This means that your tablet will now always be able to tell that you have modified it and there is no way of undoing that.

If you are still keen to install a custom ROM, this may not matter much as there is nothing to stop you installing a new ROM from Clockworkmod recovery. You have several options now. If you have any data you value you should back it up now. You should also take a full nandroid backup from Clockworkmod. That way you can restore it if you have any problems later on.

Once you've done that, you are free to experiment. Installing ROMs is pretty easy and quick so download some that sound interesting and give them a go. If you don't like them, you can restore your nandroid backup and you are no worse off.

My experience of being an Android user who likes poking about in his phone has led me to believe that rooting a phone or tablet makes far more difference to what I can do with it than installing a 3rd party ROM so you may already have done what you need to start having fun with your tablet's innards.

1) Custom ROMs are rooted, so why did you root the stock ROM, when you're not going to be using it? (It's the ROM that's rooted, not the phone itself.)

2) What do you want the custom ROM to do that the stock ROM doesn't? Looking for "a custom ROM" is like looking for "a book". If you have nothing specific in mind, the stock ROM will give you the same thing a custom ROM will. The reason for running custom ROMs is to get the thing(s) the custom ROM gives you that the stock one doesn't.

So you have to decide what functions you want that the stock ROM doesn't have, before anyone can point you to a ROM that meets your needs. And everyone's needs are different. A custom ROM that, for example, played music much better, but didn't support GPS, would be useless to me. I don't listen to music on my phone but I need the GPS. For you, that might be the ideal ROM because you listen to music all the time and never use the GPS.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I don't believe that you are completely correct in your statements here. Rooting and "ROM'ing" are two distinct things.

Obtaining root means that you have gained essentially admin-level access to your phone and it's file system. You can root all day long and never install a ROM. I did that to my Galaxy Nexus for about 2 years before I ever installed a custom ROM.

Why root w/out installing a new ROM? Several reasons. Some that come to mind are to get to system files that would otherwise be blocked. I did this on my Note 2 on the stock ROM so I could get rid of a stupid alert that would ring in the middle of the night when my phone was fully charged. One quick rename and it was never accessed again. I couldn't have done this without root level access. Another little funny mod I did with root access was to replace the sound file that was played when I removed my SPen - I replaced the stock sound file with a sound file that played a Star Wars light saber sound.

Other reasons to gain root is so that you can run certain applications that require root level permissions. If you have root access, apps like Tasker have several very useful tools that just aren't possible without root.

That being said, to install a custom ROM, you do need root level access. But it is indeed the OS on the phone that's rooted. It just happens that you need root access to install a custom ROM.

Go to XDA Developers forum. Under Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) there is a sub-forum called "Android Development." The custom roms are all listed on that forum, as are the links for download and instructions on installation.

BE CAREFUL, though, because you need to make sure that you only install a custom rom that is the exact fit of your tablet. For instance, I have a P600 (the wifi only model.) I can only install roms that are developed for that model. I believe there are only 2 or 3 for that model. There are others for P605 and P601.

IF YOU INSTALL THE WRONG ROM YOU COULD PERMANENTLY DAMAGE THE TABLET. So make sure you read through the introduction and opening directions carefully - they all tell you which model the rom is for.

Good luck. I love custom roms - the first thing I do when I get a new smartphone or tablet is to "root and then rom".

Barb

Back
Top Bottom