• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root just rooted and uploaded to 2.2 now what?

NickDroid86

Android Enthusiast
So I did the basic root using the 800Mhz kernel and the BB v1.1. Now I want a better rom but first I would like to get more speed now with 2.2. How can I do so? I'm not familiar with droid I had the eris where you simply flash a rom and OC it.

I see that i had to use ROM manager to flash clockworkmod recovery, do i have to do that everytime or can i just flash from the sd card?

Once you have Clockwork it is there it does not get replaced until you replace it / put the SBF back on there.

As for flashing from the SD Card, you *can* do that, but if you have ROM manager premium, then you can use *it* to flash for you.

If you opt for manually flashing, be sure to make note of which recovery you need installed in order to flash a particular ROM. A lot of them use CWM but some still use SPR, so read carefully before going crazy - and always, ALWAYS ALWAYS make a manual back first before doing anything, just in case you do skip the need for a required recovery and format ... and have a useless phone.

Is premium a paid version? I have the ROM Manager that was required for download when rooting, also if I have this are you saying I don't need to worry about having a recovery that the new rom calls for?

ROM manager is not a recovery program. It is a program that manages your ROMs (and your recovery 'loaders' as well).

ROM manager allows you to flash both Clockwork Mod (aka CWM) as well as SPRecovery (aka SPR) onto your phone.

The Premium version of ROM manager does a lot more, but I have used the premium version so long now I don't remember the differences between the two. Suffice it to say that with ROM manager you can do a good bit, but with the Premium you can do a *lot*.

And yes, Premium is paid.

ok cool, I'm trying to find a rom I can flash but none of them say which recovery, man I feel so stupid I was a pro with the Eris but this is way different. I see some on here giving you a link to download a kernel as well, is that necessary? What's a good fun rom?

Honestly, you'll have to play with them yourself and see. I don't go for 'fun' ROMs, for example, I go for ROMs that give me the most functionality. Also, I tend to try a lot of different ROMs to find that perfect balance of speed (using OC'd kernels) and flexibility, without sacrificing my functionality.

Head over to the ROMs section and take a look at there posts there, that is a good starting place.

ok I went throgh and the blueberry kangerade rom sounds pretty good, I hope it tastes as good as it sounds. Can I use any kernel with any rom? I started with the 800mhz recommended as a starting point for froyo, but just now downloaded the 1Ghz that was also in the same place i got the 800mhz. Or does it have to work with the rom I chose?

Kernels are very machine specific - some DROIDs cannot go over 1000, some can do 1300. Some droids love particular kernels and hate others (mine always loved taz's kernels, and now works OK with p3 but beautifully with jldfg's kernels).

You'll really have to experiment on these on your own, so a word of advice: If you buy SetCPU, whenever you are testing kernels always remove the 'on boot' setting for SetCPU before installing a new kernel - otherwise your phone may jump into a boot loop that you are unable to get out of without reflashing something.

Back
Top Bottom