• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just switched to HTC Evo V 4G

I did the switch about 1 week ago from the optimus v.

Rooted it and apply Midnight rom it comes with anthrax kernel which allows over clocking of gpu and cpu up to 1.8 ghz...... after you apply the midnight rom it will run at 1.29 ghz without touching anything makes it ALOT faster! everything works too! trust me its worth it!

Upvote 0
Honestly, I STILL haven't rooted this phone yet.

Compared to some other VM phones, this phone is good BEFORE root. I'm sure it'd be better after, but I don't feel the need to!

I would have gone on using stock if not for the mobile hotspot.

I went ahead and rooted, but still run the stock install... just have wifi hotspot available now.

I used VM's hotspot ($15) last month while I was away on business. The issue I have is they seem to route hotspot traffic through their own servers (or at minimum they are shaping the traffic somehow). As soon as I added the hotspot to my account and restarted my phone the signal was the same but all data was much slower to load. Everything took a while to pull up even when I was in great signal areas.

As soon as my plan rotated back off hotspot this month and I rooted my data speeds went back to normal, with stuff responding almost instantly like it did prior.

Not a data abuser (maybe 1.5gb/month total) so I'm not worried about using the hotspot without it being on the plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones