• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keyboard Input Issue... (And 2.3.6)

I've spent over an hour Google searching and I guess I just don't know what search terms to put in, because I can't even find anyone asking about this.

So first, I have a Huawei Ascend Y H886c (StraightTalk). The screen is 3.5 inches.

I typically type in landscape mode because I don't have the fingers of a 10 year old girl and even still have trouble being all that accurate, but that's not the issue.

In various apps, in landscape mode, when I click a text field it goes into a full screen text input? I don't know exactly what is the terminology for this, but here is what I see:

good%20keyboard.png

This works GREAT. No issues but when using the browser (though I can't think of any other apps at the moment), in landscape mode it doesn't go to that full screen and I can't move around the text area, if I start typing, the text area is gone and I can't see what I am doing, etc. etc. etc.:

crap%20keyboard.png

Is there a way to I guess, FORCE it to ALWAYS go in that full screen mode above when in landscape that way I can actually SEE what I am doing and move the cursor to other parts of the text if need be?

It doesn't matter what keyboard I use, it does this with the default browser. It's not JUST the browser though, there are some apps I have that have text input fields that I can't even use at all because of the issue (the entire text field will disappear from view and will not remain in view, again, no matter what keyboard I use).

As far as getting a new browser, I have tried Firefox and Opera and my phone can't run any of them. Well I get them and they install and even the Play store says they are compatible with my phone, but they crash CONSTANTLY even on very simple websites.

Also, Chrome is incompatible with my phone. :\

Upvote 0
Go Keyboard has a setting that forces full-screen keyboard with input field on using landscape. You may try it out.
That's even worse...

For one, it takes forever for it to load and crashes often, for another, this is the keyboard on my phone with the settings changed to have the smallest keys possible:

gokeyboardsuck.png

Also, the forced full-screen input does not work, which is on in the above screen shot. I turned it off and it still is the same as the above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones