• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keyboard preference frustrations

zanthal

I've tried several keyboard apps, and Swype is working best for me

For some reason I can't get Swype to remain the default. It switches back to the Android keyboard whenever I reboot the phone, and also whenever it seems to feel like it.

While I have the ear of the knowledgeable, I have other difficulties.

I love K-9 Mail, but stopped using it because it was becoming obvious that my outgoing mail problem was going to be a long back and forth session via Google group with the developer.

I switched back to the standard Android mail client, and I'm still having problems getting my e-mails to actually send. I'm not even getting an error telling me the e-mail hasn't been sent, or that there's a network error, nothing. The e-mail just never gets to where it was going, although it otherwise appears that it's working fine.

Another configuration problem that is eluding me, is why does the "check this box to use this program as the default" option doesn't work. It always asks no matter if you check the box or not.

I know there's some apps that help with maintaining your preferences, and I have tried one before, but it only worked in some instances.

I want to get these little annoyances fixed once and for all. Your help is very much appreciated.

For the keyboard; make sure the app is loaded on your phone, not on the sd card. Widgets and keyboards don't function well from the sd card. For the mail app, I don't have any help. I use gmail and Yahoo and have the apps for both of them. For any other apps, if you have them on the sd card, try moving them to phone storage and see if that helps. Since your rooted you can use links2sd, it will allow to run any app from your ext partition as if it were on the phone. This includes keyboards and widgets.

In spite of Link2sd allowing widgets and keyboards to run from sd, it's not a good idea. Even a good class 10 sd card isn't going to be as fast as the internal memory, and if you want to use your phone for USB storage, there goes your keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom