• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keyboards for the lg2

Jeffruby

Android Enthusiast
What keyboards have you guys been using for your lg2?

For my comparisons just wanted to state that I type >60 wpm on a regular keyboard and probably 30-40 wpm on the phone. I usually hold the phone and peck with two thumbs, sometimes use one handed Swype peck combo. Also I use a lot of slang and abbreviations when I type.

Google keyboard-

Positives- perfect and consistent level of vibration on key touches. No lag, 7/10 accurate swiping, change of long press duration. I like the spacing between the keys. Like the clean look.

Negatives-3/10 predictive text (usually just predicts words like the, a, on etc.). New update ugly black and white. New update removes comma if you want google voice on your keyboard.

Swiftkey- highest rated. I have used a ton.

Positives- best predictive text engine 9/10. Good cobalt color scheme. Able to shorten long press duration. On lg2 almost lag free and can mostly keep up with me.

Negatives- if you make a mistake it is more difficult to fix errors because of predictive engine. Swype is least accurate to me (2/10). Sometimes the vibration is heavy then soft which I find annoying. Swyping shows you next word,instead of current word. Sometimes I type fast and trigger the Swype = error. No spacing between keys

Touchpal

Positives- cool popup graphics and floating corrections (also negative as can be distracting), almost lag free, but slightly more lag than Swiftkey when typing fast. Swyping very good 8/10. Cool editing option. Many themes.

Negatives- a bit annoying to Swype up and down for numbers and punctuation when tap typing. Cannot long press for numbers as delay not adjustable and takes too long. Sometimes double tap space does not put in a period- very annoying. Does not use Google voice dictation system. No spacing between keys. Very inconsistent vibration while typing.

Swype-
Positives- best swiping keyboard by far 9/10.

Negatives- laggy at times and very laggy to tap type. Difficult using slang or non proper English. Tougher to edit mistakes.

Lg stock-

Poo pooed this one out of the box, using it for last few days.

Positives- great spacing of keys. Good looking with a few skins. Number row and symbols row at top after finish a word (makes up for non adjustable long long press delay). Good swiping (7/10). Good predictions not as good as Swiftkey). No lag. Vibration consistent. Uses Google voice.

Negatives-vibration a bit too strong and not adjustable. Long press delay not adjustable. Wish comma was to left of space (but getting used to this). Hard to get to "-" key which I use a lot.

Believe it or not my overall keyboard of choice (this week) is the lg2 stock! Can't believe it. Any lag automatically kills a keyboard for me.

I have been using Google keyboard on all my devices for the past six months. I like how smooth it is and it has pretty good predictions. It is a shame that it doesn't have more customization.

I purchased Swiftkey about a year ago but it was lagging so badly on my S3 that i couldn't keep it. It was very irritating. I haven't tried it on the G2 personally because the Google keyboard works so well. Why fix what is not broken.

Google keyboard is only available in some English speaking countries.

I just use the LG keyboard and i swipe. LG keyboard can swipe. There aren't any other free keyboards that are good. Swype is great but isn't free.

Touchpal is indeed free and Swype. I am really digging the lg2 stock keyboard however. I wish the Swype trail was darker and thinner however.

Touchpal is indeed free and Swype. I am really digging the lg2 stock keyboard however. I wish the Swype trail was darker and thinner however.

Yes. Touchpal is free. I tried it. It sucked.

Swype is 30 days only. It says it right there.

"New Swype is even more powerful and personal! Get it today! This trial version is good for 30 days. "

When i found out you could swipe with the g2 keyboard i just uninstalled the other one.

I have used every keyboard available and keep swapping between all the above.

I wish the space key was bigger on the stock keyboard then I'd use it more

Lol, they each have their advantages and disadvantages. I finally gave in that I type better on keyboards that have dead borders around the keys. Like lg and Google. Google's predictions are so bad I'm settling on lg.

Swiftkey is probably the best app I've ever purchased. Since it was in beta, it's the only keyboard I've used on any of my devices. :)

I don't like how Google's keyboard won't delete words on backspace.

I am looking for a keyboard that has word replace function, is there such a function on Android itself or in any keyboard apps? I really liked Swift Key, but it's not free. It learned my patterns very well, though, but it was not as successful as Blackberry BB10 keyboard. That thing was just purely AMAZING, and I heard it was developed by BB and SwiftKey jointly.

New update is a bit annoying

Agreed. (Google keyboard)

I'm having issues getting used to the new layout. Until recently, I really liked it. May have to look elsewhere. I don't swipe so it's previous iteration was perfect for me. I see there's yet another update for it tonight. Might try it and see if it helps any.

Did they move the comma when in alt mode? I seem to be going for the wrong side all of a sudden.

i like the native g2 keyboard. you can access numerals without having to long hold the top row, or switch via the dreaded 123 key. :)

i like the native g2 keyboard. you can access numerals without having to long hold the top row, or switch via the dreaded 123 key. :)

I am getting used to the same keyboard too but I find the keys a bit small. I wish they offered some more customizations but I love the two custom character keys.

Back
Top Bottom