• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root kinda confused

pcdebb

Android Enthusiast
I just rooted my nook color and installed cm7 using my sdcard. I removed the card and it booted back into stock nook. Is it supposed to do that? am I required to keep the card in? I'm not new to the rooting game, but the first time I've done it like this.

Yep, one of the nice features and that it's booting the OS off of the SD Card. Makes it simple to revert to stock if you need to.

Leave the card in. There's supposed to be a startup menu where you can change it.

BTW, your card will fail, eventually. Maybe after one year, maybe sooner, maybe later. Just thought you might want to plan for that.

can I replace the nook OS entirely and not have to use the card? I'm sure the card will fail sooner, I took it out of a phone I wasnt using and it's only 2gb. I'm gonna fill it up before I know it. I only use the card to root/rom it, but didnt think I'd have to keep it in to use it. I dont want to use the stock rom at all

And I just bought an 8gb microsd if I have to keep it on the card, I am running out of internal space due to app installs

i swear i used the third option, but i'll try it now, since I got an 8gb card now. for many reasons, i will never use the stock nook rom

whoa, that's confusing, thought i'd go easy and use TWRP instead of CWM. big mistake.
okay, sometimes I give up on my inner geek too quickly. looks like it may have worked. the sdcard is out and i booted into the custom rom and setting up.

will report back shortly

okay, rom installed, all running smooth......but I dont have the menu button options at the bottom?? to get to like settings, set wallpaper, etc? when i'm in something, instead of going "back" to the last screen i have to hit the home button that takes me all the way back to the home screen.....

Just to update, all is well now. The mirage rom didnt play nice, so I just went with the regular CM7 build. no sdcards for boot.

shot000003i.png

minimal customizations right now
shot000002n.png

Cool!

I installed that same Mirage version on my wife's NC.

Time to go into recovery and create a backup (while it still works)? :D

yea, I dont know what was up. I didnt have the basic menu on the bottom, so instead of going to the previous screen, I had to go back to home screen. No status bar. instant FC for the market and cyanogenmod options. maybe i'll try it later, i'm happy with what I have :)

yea, I dont know what was up. I didnt have the basic menu on the bottom, so instead of going to the previous screen, I had to go back to home screen. No status bar. instant FC for the market and cyanogenmod options. maybe i'll try it later, i'm happy with what I have :)
Sounds like maybe you forgot a step and didn't wipe one of the caches.

Ugh now I can't get it to wake up/power up at all. Getting ridiculous!!

Hold down the power button for 30 seconds and see if it boots up.

7.1 Encore?

Sounds like you didn't install the latest and greatest, but updating that doesn't mean you have to start over.

If you had clicked the "stable" link, you would have found 7.2, but the "latest stable" link was before 7.2 stable was released and suggested installing 7.1. (I updated it now.)

CM 7.2 might fix the SOD (sleep of death), which is sounds like you just experienced.

Check this out for updating to 7.2: http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...e-your-cm7-using-rom-manager.html#post3241729

Make sure you check "backup rom" and leave "wipe data" unchecked. :D

I formatted the cache per the install instructions, and downloaded what was supposed to be the latest, but I really don't care if it's the "latest and greatest" anyway. What I installed was also supposed to be stable. I dunno, I guess I'll deal with it if it comes back. I'm beyond frustrated with it right now.

Like I said, the document was out of date (by a couple months).

Maybe some day when you're less than frustrated...

i'll try the update, hoping it will go without a hitch. I just let it be and it was on when I looked at it again.

And I apologize if I was snippy earlier. I appreciate your help with this. Maybe the system is just settling down, so fat its been running smooth all nite with no issues

A new rom install is laggy (from clearing those caches) for a day or so.

No apology necessary. Glad things are starting to improve for you. :D

Everything has been very smooth. Battery life leaves something to be desired, and I just realized I need to change a setting for wifi. I've had it turned off for two days and only lost like 8% of battery. When it was on the battery would be dead by the end of the day.

I showed it to my brother and he wants to buy it lol :D

I think it may have been. I did make the change in the setting. He uses it more than I did and gets better performance. If I get anything Android it would be a tablet (a big if, i'm sort of a fanboy of another device lol)

Back
Top Bottom