• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

KingoRoot kills phones?!

Marekkon5

May 19, 2018
Hello. I recently got 3 phones to repair: Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G40, Doogee Ibiza F2.

All three of those phones were rooted like year ago using KingoRoot app (OneClick Root). https://www.kingoapp.com/

When I tried repairing I got:
- Samsung - ODIN gives NAND Flash Error
- LG - MainBoard diagnose tool tests resulted in EMMC dead.
- Doogee - SP Flash Tool cant flash because of storage mismatch (Tried multiple versions of the rom, but all gave the same error.)

So all 3 devices got dead emmc. And all of them got the KingoRoot app and su binaries installed.

Also - Gionee S5.5, this phone was rooted at first by KingoRoot, had some unfixable roms/flashing problems. But later never used KingoRoot again (used SuperSU), and survived 2 more years.

Is it just bad luck or is it actually true/possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am absolutely not a fan of apps like Kingo, and would never use it myself (I would always unlock the bootloader and then flash a recovery and use that to root), but I do not believe that it is somehow killing the storage devices.

Remember, you were given these 3 phones because they were broken, so it's a very biassed sample of phones: how many phones rooted with Kingo do not have this problem, and how many phones of these models have these problems without ever going near Kingo? I suspect that you don't know the full history of these phones either, and what else has been done with them, and of couse they are not exactly new phones (well I know nothing about the Dogee, but the s3 is 6 years old now). So I don't think you can draw that conclusion from these data.

Reactions: svim and tube517
Upvote 0
I am absolutely not a fan of apps like Kingo, and would never use it myself (I would always unlock the bootloader and then flash a recovery and use that to root), but I do not believe that it is somehow killing the storage devices.

Remember, you were given these 3 phones because they were broken, so it's a very biassed sample of phones: how many phones rooted with Kingo do not have this problem, and how many phones of these models have these problems without ever going near Kingo? I suspect that you don't know the full history of these phones either, and what else has been done with them, and of couse they are not exactly new phones (well I know nothing about the Dogee, but the s3 is 6 years old now). So I don't think you can draw that conclusion from these data.

1. Well in the case of the Doogee and Gionee - those are Mediatek phones, you have to root it using exploit/one-click root.
2. Well I know most of the history of the phones etc.... I know what the root was used for, how the phones were modified and how the phone was used, so I can pretty much tell that from the data.

Upvote 0
KingoRoot (NOT KingRoot) is the only one of the two I just mentioned that'll allow a normal switch of su binaries to another su mgr like SuperSU.. Unlike the other one, which will just leave ya dead in the water on that without a choice. So based on this fact AND out of having actual use of that app, I don't think Kingo is as much of a culprit as you may believe..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones