• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help KitKat 4.4.4 is a nightmare - help with issues?

• Thread starter Thread starter Android Question
  • Start date Start date
A

Android Question

Wondering if anyone else is having the same problems I am since the latest version of Kitkat rolled out.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 w/ AT&T coverage. Not rooted.
I just upgraded the software to 4.4.4 and it's been nothing but a nightmare:
My Wi-fi connectivity is terrible - It will drop signal and struggle to reconnect at least once a minute. While struggling to reconnect, the entire phone freezes (typically while I am in the middle of texting / using the keyboard) resulting in the repeat auto-correct of several words....(ie: trying to say "Have a great day at work!" will end up looking like "Have a great a great a great day at work!" if I happen to be texting in the middle of a Wi-Fi connectivity issue) Coverage / Wi-Fi availability has not changed at my residence - my PC / laptop / other phone users in the family / direct vicinity still have stellar connectivity.

Also to note since this update: my single dedicated button that brings me to my home page (when clicked) thinks it is constantly being long pressed (bringing up a Google menu) despite how quickly / gently I tap it. No damage was suffered that would lead me to believe the button is broken in any way. This also was noted as soon as the software update was installed.

Is anyone else having these problems? Anyone know if there is a revert I can do to the last software version? (I assume I will have to root my phone...something I'm not adverse to if I can find a coherent step-by-step process)

Thank you!

I'm having the same issues, I even bought a new wifi router for home. Very expensive upgrade, let me know if you find a fix for the home button!!!

If all else fails I'd do a factory reset if you haven't already :thumbsupdroid:
Agreed. These sort of upgrade issues don't happen consistently or to everyone, but when they do, a factory reset will usually sort it out. Be sure to back up anything you care about first (anything associated with your Google account will be automatically backed up, unless you specifically disabled it).

I had many of the same issues after the 4.4.4 update on my S5. AT&T is also my carrier.

The connection dropping/reconnecting, sometimes as frequently as every 7 seconds, can gobble up your data as it switches over to the mobile network each time the connection is dropped. Most likely, like others who have experienced the same issue, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your connection... the problem is with the "Smart network switch." This can be mitigated by going into your WiFi settings and unchecking "Smart network switch."

A number of other problems can be resolved by wiping the cache partition. Instructions for wiping the cache partition can be found here, under #1.3, including a link to a video demonstrating the process:

http://androidforums.com/threads/s5-lollipop-update-problems-dummies-guide.892800/

Back
Top Bottom