• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help KitKat and MicroSD card . . .

DemDog

Have been reading on several forums about the problems with KitKat and how Google has changed it to make using a microSD card for storage more difficult.

I got the notification to update to KitKat on my Note 10.1 2014 the other day and have been putting it off because I am afraid of what it might to with my microSD card usage.

So I want to ask any of you "experts" out there if the way I use my microSD card will be affected.

I download a couple PDF files from the websites of two newspapers that I have digital subsciptions to. Right now I just save them to my microSD card. Will KitKat still allow me to save those files to my microSD card?

Second thing is photos. I sometimes take a pix with my tablet although most of the time I use my Note 3 but this would apply to both devices. Can I still use my microSD card as the default place to save my photos?

Third, photos that I get from my daughter on her smugmug site of my grand daughter. I now save the photos to my laptop and then using file explorer on the laptop to copy them to my phone and my tab. Will I still be able to do this process if I upgrade to KitKat?

I have talked with Samsung Tech Support and they have said that I can do all of this as I have stated above. But I do not really trust them as they have to consult all kinds of manuals and do not really have any hands on experience with the devices I use.

Any help will be appreciated as I need to get rid of the popup on my tablet reminding me to install KitKat.

Thanks.

I had seen that thread and just went back to it and saw an answer to my question. Thanks so much for sending me back there. I am updating to KK as I type this on my laptop. Hope all goes well.

Good luck, Hope your experience better than mine..i'm this close to revert back to v4.3..but maybe you can give us some helpful hints afterward

Hmmm, glad I found this. I just got my Note yesterday and was planning to upgrade to KK eventually. I can wait though.... hahaha

I have a Note Pro 12.2" tablet but the Note 10.1 is close enough. My tablet came preinstalled with KitKat so it seems Samsung already made that decision for me.

I recently picked up ********* and sent an email to ********* asking how to save to the sd card. Their response was that Google blocks accss to the sd card. Their save as dialog allows me to save to the internal memory or any of various cloud sites.

I guess I will be saving to the cloud and then using an android file manager to copy or move to my sd card. Thisis annoying but not fatal.

I can't "see" the link to the post that lotus 49 refers to. Could someone explain where this link appears in his/her psot? Tnaks.

I am planning to buy Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 but have doubts if I have the right choice. Glad I was able to read this post. It is better to read information about the product before having it on your hand, just mu opinion.

Have been using KK on my Note now for about a month. Really have no problems at all with it other than I can't save downloaded files such as e-editions of my newspaper to my SD card like I could with JB. So I just let it download to system memory and delete it using my file manager that came with KK to delete the file after use.

As for the pix that I need to download to the SD card, I just use the normal process I had used with JB. Plug the Note into my laptop and transfer the pix from there to my Note SD card. Gallery works the same as before so I can continue to show off pix of my granddaughter.

So I can say that the SD card problem with KK has not had any material effect on my use of my Note 10.1 tab.

May I just remind people to thank ironass' post if the information I linked to was helpful. After all, I just pointed you in the right direction. He did the work writing the post in the first place.

I'd also like to add my voice to that of DemDog. I have been using KK on my (as yet unrooted) Note for several weeks and I haven't had any problems with the SD card restrictions that I couldn't work around fairly easily. If you are rooted, you can disable the restrictions completely but even if you are not, it's still not that big a deal.

Thank you lotus49 for pointing out the need to thank ironass for the original help with this problem. Have done as you suggested.

i use the built-in file manager (My Files) to do all my stuff, and it seems to be perfectly capable of moving files from internal to SD, and even creating folders and deleting as it did during Jelly Bean. either system apps are immune to Google's new dictatorship or it's an overblown myth.

but there is an interesting bug. i can easily delete an MP4 video i copied to the card, no problem. but try deleting a *.log file that is generated for whatever reason, it tells you permission denied (or 'cannot delete file' in My Files' vain). what gives? is it just files i create that i have control over or what? i also could not delete some old cover art JPG from a video i downloaded from a Youtube Downloader app years ago. i could, however delete other photos, also *.JPGs. weird. it also wouldn't allow me to delete any ZIP files from old ROMs i had saved in the past on it. i could remove a folder but only after i removed all the files/subfolders in it. before it would remove folders recursively.

I really do hope Google won't force the 'use a real computer to do the dirty work' because that reminds me too well of the way i had to use iTunes to do anything with my iPhone 4. this is the 21st Century. we don't need laptops to manage our phones anymore! this isn't ActiveSync with Pocket PC 2002 here!

Back
Top Bottom