• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lag, freeze, and force closes

CRUMBsnatcher

So lately, my phone has been lagging and freezing (more than usual). It's really annoying. I also get force closes on certain apps. Is there anything I can do to reduce the lag and speed up performance. I have android assistant to kill un-needed processes. I am also rooted :)

If you could list some basic info about your phone,I'm sure we all here can nail down the possible causes of lag, F/C's,etc...
1)Are you using a Battery Saving app?If so,this could be acting as another task killer & just causing system chaos & slowing things down.
2)Check Canvas,or any other non- active/frozen launcher,for widgets that may still be running & kill them.Also,if you're using LPP as your launcher,check your memory & Cache settings.I've found this helped with a lot of the lag issues 1st hand.
3)Are you using a Cache cleaning app?
4) Anti viral apps will slow down overall performance.Only have it running when absolutely necessary{d/l apps,etc...}
5)How much internal memory do you have left?If its below 25%,you may want to dump some un-needed apps,I've read somewhere here @ A/F that this will help as well.
6)Try using VM HEAP TOOL for root,from the market.{Free}This seemed to help my phone w/lag as well.
Keep us all posted,hopefully we'll get your phone running smoothly ASAP.

I'm using juice defender, along with the toggle mobile data widget (if that makes a difference?)
I use android assistant to kill canvas and other useless stuff. Also use it as a cache cleaning app.
I have 1.26 gb available on my external sd card, 18.85 mb on the internal sd card, and 62.18 mb internal storage available. I'm using ADW launcher BTW.

I would, at least temporarily,freeze/turn off JUICE DEFENDER.Reason is you are already using ANDROID ASSISTANT,&together with the stock O/S,you've got 3 different things telling the phone what to do.You're probably using more battery than you're actually saving w/this set-up.
I would suggest reading some recent threads/posts on JUICE DEFENDER to get a well rounded idea what this app actually does.
Also,w/ANDROID ASSISTANT,I would only use that to kill tasks that have no other direct effect on any other apps,a stand alone app.,if you will.Reason for that is the stock O/S is just going to try to turn that app back on again,consuming more battery & causing lag by constantly having apps turning on & off.
It doesn't sound like you have too many apps on your phone,you have plenty of memory left for this to be an issue.
If you have TITANIUM BACKUP PRO,I would suggest freezing any apps that you don't use that you are sure will not interfere with other app functions.If you don't have TB PRO,I believe there are apps available to freeze un-needed apps.The 1st I would freeze is CANVAS,&then proceed from there.
I know almost all of us have WIDGETS that we like to use.I have read that having too many will definitely cause lag.What that magic number is,I don't know,wish that I did.Hopefully you won't have to resort to eliminating WIDGETS to get better performance,that would kinda defeat the purpose of having a smart phone to begin with.
Last but not least,if you can't get better performance no matter what you try,you may want to consider installing the ICARUS 1.1 MOD.The performance of this MOD reportedly blows away the stock 2.1 ECLAIR O/S.

Good advice by Kolio! I would definately get rid of JD. It always made my phone lag. I also would clear the cache. I use both cache mate and cache cleaner. Go to browser setting and clear browser cache, cookies, and history. Clear call log. Reboot phone. If it's still laggy, start thinking about what recent apps you have downloaded that may be causing problems. Uninstall some if necessary. These steps usually work for me.

Does Juice Defender still cause the phone to lag when you have it disabled? If it does, then I will uninstall it.

One thing I forgot to ask/mention.Are you using a CPU app?If not,you may want to consider using one.If you are using one,you may need to tweak the HI &/or LOW settings.Settings that are too low will definitely affect performance.

I have set cpu, with the max set at 600 and the min set at 200. I uninstalled JD and downloaded vm heap. It's set to use 20m per app. I have noticed an improvement in the lag, it's pretty much gone.

I have set cpu, with the max set at 600 and the min set at 200. I uninstalled JD and downloaded vm heap. It's set to use 20m per app. I have noticed an improvement in the lag, it's pretty much gone.

My phone has been lagging like crazy so I will give this a try. Any reason why you choose 20? My phone was set at 22 after I installed vm heap.

Update: I downloaded a toggle mobile data widget, to make up for the absent JuiceDefender. I've found that data is a major cause of battery consumption and I figured there's no point in having it turned on when I'm not using it.

Update: I downloaded a toggle mobile data widget, to make up for the absent JuiceDefender. I've found that data is a major cause of battery consumption and I figured there's no point in having it turned on when I'm not using it.

Did you keep VM Heap?

I turn off background data for the same reason,& have a sync timer app that can be set to turn sync ON/OFF up to 4 different times a day.Perhaps once I decide to install ICARUS 1.1{ OR ANY OTHER CUSTOM ROM/OFFICIAL FUTURE 2.2 O/S}these battery saving techniques will not be necessary.

That's what I do, i turn off the background data. I got the vm heap last night. Have you guys noticed any difference?

Back
Top Bottom