• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Laptop / Netbook Advice Please - Bigger than 10"

williamj1

Android Enthusiast
Ok, so I'm looking for a netbook but really need some advice. I'm really restricting myself because I find 10" screens too small, so i'm looking for something about 11.6" or 12.1". I originally thought a netbook would be fine performance wise, but I just don't know. Really, I have pretty basic needs. The most I would be doing would be chrome with lots of tabs, word and spotify open in the background. I have no idea if a standard 1.6ghz atom would suffice for this. I also want the ability to play 720p video's from youtube, so I realise now I really need Ion or a dual core processor right? A bit of trackmania would be awesome too. Anyway a couple of options, so advice would be appreciated. No idea which of these is best, or any other suggestions? Budget is 300, but lower prefered. Please could I have some advice especially on the lenovo s12. Particularly interested in this. :)

- Lenovo S12 - Intel Atom (N270 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 512 KB L2 cache), 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD, ION, 12.1" Screen and cheap - 219.99, W7 Premium, HDMI

If this would be powerful enough for my needs above especially with the 2gb ram this would be perfect???? I know with the ion it will be fine for trackmania and youtube HD, I'm just unsure about the atom n270 + 2gb ram. Single core, last generation. Would this work with my 3 apps open?

lenovo link - http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenov...12_904904.html

- HP DM1 - dual core su2300, 2gb ram, 11.6" screen - can't find for under 300 anywhere now.

- Samsung x120 - dual core, 3gb ram, 11.6" screen - can't find anywhere below 295 and not keen on the mouse buttons on side of trackpad.

- dell 11z -249, single core 1.3ghz, 2gm ram (don't think this would do 720p, but might be better than atoms for everyday stuff)

- Asus 1201N / 1215n seem to be the perfect solution, but neither can be bought for under 350.

- At CES last week, Hp released a new DM1 and lenovo the x120e. Both seem perfect, but no details about uk availability or pricing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is your budget?
Up to

Asus 1215. Fits perfectly in your price range with the nvidia ION chipset, 12.1'' screen.

Edit, nm.. it appears the UK jacks up the price on everything by $100. On you next trip to the US, do all your shopping then go home. lol

Edit, nm.. it appears the UK jacks up the price on everything by $100.

Yes we can blame the UK government for that. UK prices always include VAT, now at 20%. Prices quoted in the US do not include sales tax, this is added at purchase. You'll find the prices difference then, if any, are not as much as you might think

On you next trip to the US, do all your shopping then go home. lol

As long as one is not caught for import duty and VAT. Those US purchases will suddenly become very expensive.

So can anyone actually advice me on the lenovo etc? That's what I was really hoping for. Somewith with knowledge on computers to tell me how well these netbooks will fair for general use as I stated - chrome + 5 tabs, word and spotify all at once.

Yes we can blame the UK government for that. UK prices always include VAT, now at 20%. Prices quoted in the US do not include sales tax, this is added at purchase. You'll find the prices difference then, if any, are not as much as you might think

As long as one is not caught for import duty and VAT. Those US purchases will suddenly become very expensive.
Online purchases in the US don't add sales tax unless you're buying from a store that has a b&m or warehouse in your state. 95% of my online purchases don't have tax. You're supposed to claim it when doing your taxes, but nobody ever does.

Online purchases in the US don't add sales tax unless you're buying from a store that has a b&m or warehouse in your state. 95% of my online purchases don't have tax. You're supposed to claim it when doing your taxes, but nobody ever does.
dodging taxes aint a real saving

Ok, so I'm looking for a netbook but really need some advice. I'm really restricting myself because I find 10" screens too small, so i'm looking for something about 11.6" or 12.1".

You're 100% correct on the 10" screens being too small. I didn't realize (didn't bother to measure it out on paper first) that the Inspiron Mini I bought for my wife for her college classes was tiny. Still she didn't want to lug around her Inspiron 1545 and didn't need an optical drive or a ton of drive space. She was ok with the size. There's no way I could live with that.

Is there some reason you wouldn't consider a laptop? Looking at Dell's UK site, they're selling the Inspiron 15 (I assume it's a 1545) for

I don't have the Lenovo model you are looking at. However, I do have the S10, which has the 10" screen. I upgraded to the 2GB max right away and also bought a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 40GB drive. This system is very fast for what it is. Also, I have been running Linux Mint 10 without any issues. In my 13 years of being involved with computers Lenovo (IBM) have always had a strong build. I have always recommended or used them.

- 720p youtube preferred:
720p playback in XP or Linux works just fine, more than enough power.

- Needs to be able to run chrome, ms word and spotify at once:
I also use Chrome, 10-12 tab open without issue.

- Windows 7 (not starter) preferred:
Haven't tried 7, although XP and Linux Mint 10 run fast and smooth. I've seen 7 on other netbooks and it looks fine to me.

- Wifi N would be lovely but is no way essential.
My S10 has G only, most newer models have N.

...since getting my Desire my netbook doesn't get as much love as it use to ;-)

I'm totally against the standard netbook. my daughter has one and the size of the screen makes webpages lookhorrible imo. Certain pages don't show up right, others you have to do an excessive amount of scrolling. i'm not a fan at all. it would really help if you got one with 2gigs ram(if you even can)

Back
Top Bottom