• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lately...

Milo Williamson

Extreme Android User
Well I tink I found what was the criminal and making my cell over heat, was Ccleaner, I just install it an evening ago, but turns out it was causing my cell to do all kinds of over heating by the microphone part, I also think that live wall papers does it from time to time, and alas I will have to wait for a spell or three to get a new pixel.. Or the Samsung cell I was reading about too, so my hear is not totally sunk into what cell I should do though.

Yet another reason never to update your apps. many of those 'updates' to apps such as QuickPic Gallery, Es File Explorer and CCleaner were their 'cheetah-fication' updates. While the dev no longer shows up on Play Store, the apps and many, many clones by alternate developers that probably work for Cheetah Mobile (such as DU Battery Saver and 360 Security) continue to exist. the Samsung Galaxy Store has become a breeding ground of Cheetah Mobile crapware.

Yet another reason never to update your apps. many of those 'updates' to apps such as QuickPic Gallery, Es File Explorer and CCleaner were their 'cheetah-fication' updates. While the dev no longer shows up on Play Store, the apps and many, many clones by alternate developers that probably work for Cheetah Mobile (such as DU Battery Saver and 360 Security) continue to exist. the Samsung Galaxy Store has become a breeding ground of Cheetah Mobile crapware.
Yeah my friend, Phill, is in his late 50s, and the smart phones are pretty new to him. Way new to him... I have changed to now SD maid.

They're not new to me (I have used them since late 2009--an iPhone 3GS was my first, but I regret never having the Nokia N95 when it was a thing :( )

But I've reached the age in my life where I just don't care about the latest and greatest (especially when they're functional downgrades anyway) and am quite set in my ways and don't want things suddenly changing once I get used to them.

They're not new to me (I have used them since late 2009--an iPhone 3GS was my first, but I regret never having the Nokia N95 when it was a thing :( )

But I've reached the age in my life where I just don't care about the latest and greatest (especially when they're functional downgrades anyway) and am quite set in my ways and don't want things suddenly changing once I get used to them.
I am somewhat were I am with older techhy, the brand new thing I have is a Samsung Galaxy S4 in my room alone, my desktop is around fifteen years of age, my t.v. nearly 21 years of age (Not a Smart tv, but a Samsung) a ps3 slim, and a ps3 original model currently.

Wow not too far from me. My TVs are all ~ 2009-14 (newest is the patio TV, a 32" Magnavox from 2014) all dumb TVs with the 'smarts' being external devices plugged into them that also don't go past 2014 (Apple TV 2nd Gen, Launch Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Wii-U, Nexus Player, Apple TV 3rd Gen, various older Blu-Ray players).

I'm using an S4 Mini as a smartphone but mainly for music/texts/remote control use. I use a rotary telephone at home on an old landline. My phone calls mainly come to it. My computers are mostly laptops now, but one desktop is an old 2004 HP Pavilion that runs Windows XP, another an eMachines EL1210-09 micro tower from 2008 that runs Vista, and two laptops that run Windows 7 Pro, one a 2007 Dell Vostro 1700, another a Latitude E6500 from 2009.

My vehicles are a 2005 Saturn ION and a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I still have VCRs, and still use DVD players. I got a 2013 Yamaha AV Receiver in the living room, connected to two giant 1980s speakers, a Montgomery Ward Airline with two smaller 1970's speakers for the analog audio from the DVD players, Wii-U and VCR, and a Pioneer SX-40 'computer controlled stereo receiver' outside with its matching dual cassette deck also in the patio area for audio out from that TV, with similar giant speakers.

Elsewhere there's standalone 1970s stereo systems, like in the dining area there's a Pioneer Centrex all-in-one system with 8-track, record changer, and AM/FM Radio. In the living room, a Yorx Multiplex AM/FM/AM-stereo/8-track/record/dual cassette system for music only with its matching speakers. In the office, there's a wooden furniture system that has an AM/FM/record auto-changer stereo called an Astro Sonic from Magnavox. In the guest room, there's a 1950s tube amp-equipped dual speaker Zenith portable record auto-changer. In the master bedroom is a early 1990s Yamaha stereo receiver with 5 disc CD changer, single cassette deck, and Kenwood automatic record player (not changer).

Most of these systems worked fine and were purchased from a vendor mall. There were some that needed minor repair; the Pioneer dual cassette deck needed all belts replaced, the Yorx has one that needs belts (but I'm not taking that thing apart), the Centrex needed the record changer serviced (it was jammed) and the Astro-Sonic needed major repair of its record changer, alignment of gears, motor speed adjustment and idler tire replaced. It's still not 100%. Changer works but it still plays too slow.

There are also two mostly decorative but still-working late 1960s AM All-American 5 tube radios in the kitchen and dining room, mostly for weather checks or for playing old music from a classic station that's on AM.

I also swapped out the light fixtures for 1960s replacements I found at the same vendor mall, excluding the two ceiling fans from 2012 that came with the house. I use mostly incandescent light bulbs as many LEDs give me headaches or disrupt my sleep, only having LEDs in the bathroom and garage. The office has an old wooden writing desk that once belonged to my father, with a Howard Miller mantle clock that's mechanical dual chime that belonged to my grandfather (both deceased)

I carry my great grandfathers Westclox mechanical pocket watch when I'm out and about, and also sometimes swap that for a 1967 Timex mechanical watch when at work (shock resistant). I got the latter for $5 and it needed some work (balance wheel was jammed)

With the exception of the two 'fake fireplace' heaters that I bought in 2014, my home is heated with vintage Arvin space heaters. If it's really cold out I whip out an even older Bersted Manufacturing "Tropic Aire Instant Heat" heater that uses 1875 watts.

I still have some things I'd love to go farther on, such as trading the Saturn for a 1976 Chrysler Cordoba, and replacing a couple of the TVs with period correct CRT TVs with wood cabinets, perhaps a 25" Zenith tabletop for the patio and a smaller, B&W 13" for the kitchen, given it's only used for watching The Andy Griffith Show when I eat breakfast before work. Currently the kitchen TV is a Toshiba LCD from May 2009.

Last edited:
Wow not too far from me. My TVs are all ~ 2009-14 (newest is the patio TV, a 32" Magnavox from 2014) all dumb TVs with the 'smarts' being external devices plugged into them that also don't go past 2014 (Apple TV 2nd Gen, Launch Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Wii-U, Nexus Player, Apple TV 3rd Gen, various older Blu-Ray players).

I'm using an S4 Mini as a smartphone but mainly for music/texts/remote control use. I use a rotary telephone at home on an old landline. My phone calls mainly come to it. My computers are mostly laptops now, but one desktop is an old 2004 HP Pavilion that runs Windows XP, another an eMachines EL1210-09 micro tower from 2008 that runs Vista, and two laptops that run Windows 7 Pro, one a 2007 Dell Vostro 1700, another a Latitude E6500 from 2009.

My vehicles are a 2005 Saturn ION and a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I still have VCRs, and still use DVD players. I got a 2013 Yamaha AV Receiver in the living room, connected to two giant 1980s speakers, a Montgomery Ward Airline with two smaller 1970's speakers for the analog audio from the DVD players, Wii-U and VCR, and a Pioneer SX-40 'computer controlled stereo receiver' outside with its matching dual cassette deck also in the patio area for audio out from that TV, with similar giant speakers.

Elsewhere there's standalone 1970s stereo systems, like in the dining area there's a Pioneer Centrex all-in-one system with 8-track, record changer, and AM/FM Radio. In the living room, a Yorx Multiplex AM/FM/AM-stereo/8-track/record/dual cassette system for music only with its matching speakers. In the office, there's a wooden furniture system that has an AM/FM/record auto-changer stereo called an Astro Sonic from Magnavox. In the guest room, there's a 1950s tube amp-equipped dual speaker Zenith portable record auto-changer. In the master bedroom is a early 1990s Yamaha stereo receiver with 5 disc CD changer, single cassette deck, and Kenwood automatic record player (not changer).

Most of these systems worked fine and were purchased from a vendor mall. There were some that needed minor repair; the Pioneer dual cassette deck needed all belts replaced, the Yorx has one that needs belts (but I'm not taking that thing apart), the Centrex needed the record changer serviced (it was jammed) and the Astro-Sonic needed major repair of its record changer, alignment of gears, motor speed adjustment and idler tire replaced. It's still not 100%. Changer works but it still plays too slow.

There are also two mostly decorative but still-working late 1960s AM All-American 5 tube radios in the kitchen and dining room, mostly for weather checks or for playing old music from a classic station that's on AM.

I also swapped out the light fixtures for 1960s replacements I found at the same vendor mall, excluding the two ceiling fans from 2012 that came with the house. I use mostly incandescent light bulbs as many LEDs give me headaches or disrupt my sleep, only having LEDs in the bathroom and garage. The office has an old wooden writing desk that once belonged to my father, with a Howard Miller mantle clock that's mechanical dual chime that belonged to my grandfather (both deceased)

I carry my great grandfathers Westclox mechanical pocket watch when I'm out and about, and also sometimes swap that for a 1967 Timex mechanical watch when at work (shock resistant). I got the latter for $5 and it needed some work (balance wheel was jammed)
Not a car person at all, more intresting in technology like this, this is why I joined the fourms though..

I think the device is great for a spell or two, today has been kind of a down time for both of my mother and myself without going anywere..

Here is my desktop :

1676842222020.png

Yeah it is kind of one of those nothing past 2000ish either, just a bit of tune up on around 2021, but nothing more then what I do have and discovered plentora alongst throughout time and space, for different files I can easily snap, thanks to the internt it shall be there forever whenever, I feel like it to really mess it around as well. But in that moment on, I only primarly use it as a writer, photographer, and browser no matter what either..

I'm guessing you're using Windows 10? Pity. I can't stand anything after 7 and went to great efforts to stay on 7 and below.

Tech has become stagnant and boring and there's nothing I'd consider an upgrade anywhere. Everything offered has far less features than any of the tech I use, including the S4 Mini (no phone offered is that small, or has an IR blaster, removable battery or a skeuomorphic UI) and Dell Latitude E6500 (let me know if an upgraded laptop exists that has a skeuomorphic UI/OS, smartcard, PC card, Firewire, lit keyboard, cellular connectivity, SD card slot, DisplayPort, 6 USB ports, VGA Port, Ethernet port, NFC touch point, media keys, auto brightness, battery that still works over a decade later and replaceable, replaceable RAM, or a DVD/RW drive.)

I'm guessing you're using Windows 10? Pity. I can't stand anything after 7 and went to great efforts to stay on 7 and below.

Tech has become stagnant and boring and there's nothing I'd consider an upgrade anywhere. Everything offered has far less features than any of the tech I use, including the S4 Mini (no phone offered is that small, or has an IR blaster, removable battery or a skeuomorphic UI) and Dell Latitude E6500 (let me know if an upgraded laptop exists that has a skeuomorphic UI/OS, smartcard, PC card, Firewire, lit keyboard, cellular connectivity, SD card slot, DisplayPort, 6 USB ports, VGA Port, Ethernet port, NFC touch point, media keys, auto brightness, battery that still works over a decade later and replaceable, replaceable RAM, or a DVD/RW drive.)
Yeah I know it is such a pity though, but thankfully I am not jumping ships to windows eleven... My mother struggled with it so much, as well as one of my besties has it for her work laptop...

I worry though if you depend on Windows 10, on October 2025, it's supposed to be EOL. Windows 10 often activates on a digital license, and really depends on the internet and 'cloud' so I would be concerned that it would get remotely killed and/or you got pop-ups saying 'Support is ending please upgrade'.

I am immune to that since I use Windows 7. I prefer to use something I don't have to worry about giving up in a few years. I'm buy it for life.

Windows 11 is just as flat as 10, it's not an upgrade, just change for change's sake. They made a new taskbar to compete with Apple (why does everyone follow Apple for every damn thing?) and that was it. It's also a bear to theme, as even Windowblinds 11 struggles with it.

I know most folks here and online think I'm a stick in the mud who refuses to try out new tech, but I actually do try it out. I tried out Windows 11, tried out true-wireless buds, tried out modern smartphones and tablets. In the end, they weren't for me, and didn't add anything new, in fact, they removed a lot of what I found useful, and otherwise did the same things and ran the same apps as my 2010 tech, only in a worse, far more frustrating way (from navigation of the UI to the design to forced updates, etc) so I returned it and went back.

I am still a geek and actually want tech to move forward and want to try new things, but lately since 2015 tech has been mostly stagnant and boring and not trying to differentiate anymore. It's been diminishing returns for years now, and I keep hoping that someone would restart the rapid pace of innovation we had in 2009 and up until late 2014. There was no reason it had to stop. I would LOVE to see a modern Nokia N95, with even more features than the original and no compromises--a 2020's upgrade without feature removals, but with a modern OS and even more features.

Last edited:
I worry though if you depend on Windows 10, on October 2025, it's supposed to be EOL. Windows 10 often activates on a digital license, and really depends on the internet and 'cloud' so I would be concerned that it would get remotely killed and/or you got pop-ups saying 'Support is ending please upgrade'.

I am immune to that since I use Windows 7. I prefer to use something I don't have to worry about giving up in a few years. I'm buy it for life.

Windows 11 is just as flat as 10, it's not an upgrade, just change for change's sake. They made a new taskbar to compete with Apple (why does everyone follow Apple for every damn thing?) and that was it. It's also a bear to theme, as even Windowblinds 11 struggles with it.

I know most folks here and online think I'm a stick in the mud who refuses to try out new tech, but I actually do try it out. I tried out Windows 11, tried out true-wireless buds, tried out modern smartphones and tablets. In the end, they weren't for me, and didn't add anything new, in fact, they removed a lot of what I found useful, and otherwise did the same things and ran the same apps as my 2010 tech, only in a worse, far more frustrating way (from navigation of the UI to the design to forced updates, etc) so I returned it and went back.

I am still a geek and actually want tech to move forward and want to try new things, but lately since 2015 tech has been mostly stagnant and boring and not trying to differentiate anymore. It's been diminishing returns for years now, and I keep hoping that someone would restart the rapid pace of innovation we had in 2009 and up until late 2014. There was no reason it had to stop. I would LOVE to see a modern Nokia N95, with even more features than the original and no compromises--a 2020's upgrade without feature removals, but with a modern OS and even more features.
Yeah, I might not have a desktop in a while either, I might just have this back at this house, and when the giant tsuami hits, I can always have my tablet with cloud to back up my op keys if I have to change them, so be it though, I am not going to fly back here and change them to a point of losing my head over itself though.

Kind of thanks for that pointer.

On topic to the first thing, it has over heated even with my language learning app, Drops, only used it for around ten minutes.. Seriously ten minutes? Ouch, I felt pain on my finger.

The design of the fans/cooling systems on modern laptops leaves much to be desired as well. They love putting the fan exhaust right against the screen these days which increases heat, noise and the chance of delaminating the glue holding the LCD panel together. I'd love to find the moron who dreamed that design up.

Maybe Android's app stores (Google's, Amazon's, F-Droid, etc.) need a new rule: When an app changes ownership, it is to be treated at a new app.
That would be a good plan: there have been a number of cases of popular apps being bought by dodgy companies, and unless you look at the app listing for every update you've no way of knowing.

But it also runs counter to everything Google have done with their app store, where changes have steadily tended to "removing friction" from app installation, i.e. encouraging users to install and update without checking (e.g. they no longer inform you when an app's permissions change during an update: if the new permission is one of the subset that Google think you should be able to decline you'll find out when you run the app after updating, it not you simply won't know that it has new permissions). I understand the idea that "most people don't understand/care so it's better that updates happen in the background than they run old, less secure software", but I dislike it because it also trains people not to think about these things. And of course the philosophy only works if the update makes an app more secure, which selling to data-miners like Cheetah Mobile certainly does not do.

The design of the fans/cooling systems on modern laptops leaves much to be desired as well. They love putting the fan exhaust right against the screen these days which increases heat, noise and the chance of delaminating the glue holding the LCD panel together. I'd love to find the moron who dreamed that design up.
Modern laptops are often too thin to have them on the side (which is where the ports live too), Putting them along the sides at the bottom is possible (I've had laptops that do that, and I think my wife's does), but unless it has substantial feet the airflow can be restricted. So I understand where it comes from. However I've never had any of the problems you describe: my last 2 laptops have had this design, but the previous one usually ran fairly cool and the current one barely needs a fan at all: it rarely comes on at all, and when it does the heat flow is very mild. Computing is an area where progress is real.

Yeah my friend, Phill, is in his late 50s, and the smart phones are pretty new to him. Way new to him... I have changed to now SD maid.
Late 50s isn't a problem. I'm late 50s, and apart from not having any interest in installing TikTok and still using wired headphones (which may change some time this year) I don't feel particularly behind the curve on tech ;).

I think the big thing is openness to just playing with something and seeing how it works. So my attitude to a new device or platform isn't so much "how does this work?" as "what happens if I do this?" (which means I actually quite like changing platforms or UIs because it gives me something to explore for a little while).

Modern laptops are often too thin to have them on the side (which is where the ports live too), Putting them along the sides at the bottom is possible (I've had laptops that do that, and I think my wife's does), but unless it has substantial feet the airflow can be restricted. So I understand where it comes from. However I've never had any of the problems you describe: my last 2 laptops have had this design, but the previous one usually ran fairly cool and the current one barely needs a fan at all: it rarely comes on at all, and when it does the heat flow is very mild. Computing is an area where progress is real.
Meh, all modern laptops have hardly any interesting features. They are removing them left and right like phones. Who asked for thin? They were perfectly thin enough in 2010. Just the perfect balance of features/thin and light. Gluing the batteries in, soldering the RAM isn't innovation or progress, it's disposability. It's encouraging buying new whenever the battery dies or you need to upgrade the RAM. That's not sustainable long term and we have enough e-waste issues already. We should be holding onto stuff longer than replacing it over and over especially with nothing new being brought to the table over the last 8 years.

UI design and tech has been in a functional downgrade ever since Windows 8 and MacOS Yosemite were a thing. It hasn't improved since 2015. Features keep getting axed and nothing is interesting, and we have even less competition compared with a decade ago. It's NOT a good thing.

Mark my words, there will NOT be a single modern laptop that still works 16 years later like this Vostro. Even the SSD would be past its write limit by then. We need repairability back, and the schematics under the cover back. That's why Right to Repair needs to succeed. We also need to be teaching repair to our kids as it's a vital skill. The excuse of 'we don't have time for this' is invalid, as we had plenty of time back in the '60s. This whole instant gratification crap needs to stop.

I'm absolutely with you on repairability. Other stuff we will differ on, as we both know by now. But I really don't want to go back to spinning platters, proprietary chargers and 3 hour battery life being counted as "good", which is what I had to make do with 16 years ago. ;)

Back
Top Bottom