• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Latest firmware

Just posting this here in case it is useful to someone. I wanted to restore my app settings piecemeal after a wipe. I did a nandroid backup, installed the 1.6 firmware, then did adp install for all my apps (taken from nandroid backup)

I then unyaffs'd my data.img, and ran this from my unpacked /data/data path. It reads a list of app names from stdin. It requires the app in question to be installed so that it can get the uid of the app. It also requires a busybox install in /data/busybox. That can be changed depending on your busybox location. It tries to not upload non configuration stuff, like lib/ (-exclude lib).

It worked for me, I wouldn't try using it on apps that are part of the phone firmware, since they probably changed substantially. If the following code block is greek to you, you probably don't want to run it.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

set -e

while read name; do
    echo $name...
    userid=$(adb shell /data/busybox/stat -c %u /data/data/$name | fromdos)
    echo userid $userid
    find $name -mindepth 1 -type d -not -name lib | while read dir; do
        adb shell su -c "/data/busybox/mkdir -p /data/data/$dir"
        adb shell su -c "/data/busybox/chown $userid:$userid /data/data/$dir"
    done
    find $name -mindepth 1 -type f -not -name lib | while read file; do
        adb push $file /sdcard/Download/$(basename $file)
        adb shell su -c "/data/busybox/cp /sdcard/Download/$(basename $file) /data/data/$file"
        adb shell su -c "/data/busybox/rm /sdcard/Download/$(basename $file)"
        adb shell su -c "/data/busybox/chown $userid:$userid /data/data/$file"
        adb shell su -c "/data/busybox/chmod 660 /data/data/$file"
    done
    echo
done

Reactions: Andronix
Upvote 0
Hi all,

Have any body tested WPA-EAP (TLS) connection in android 1.6 ? I am facing problem in connection.....I have the client certificate and I have installed it. It is asking for private key password....what shall I give here as there is no other field to enter private key path. When I am trying to connect, it says connecting, but after a few seconds it says disconnected.

Upvote 0
I'm sure I've seen I7500TZHJA1 somewhere. I think it's 1.5, though the original rumour was 1.6.

Though I think it's actually called i7500tgyja1.

Click on the link if you can read Chinese.

It's actually 1.6 - ppl start clearing up the rumours on the 2nd and 3rd page.

No difference from JB2, except that this is the Hong Kong release so it's got Chinese and English...bugs with ID3 tags still exist (so you can't read any tags which are in Chinese, which was previously possible under IK4)

That said, don't update to CHNJA1. Not only do you lose the ability to get on Wifi thanks to that WAPI crap, but you also lose out on all the Google Apps (Market, Maps, etc) so it becomes a generic Android phone (according to ppl on the forums)

Reactions: Xenon
Upvote 0
Anyone know what happened to the archive? I get a 404 error.

Sorry guys, iam moving the primary mirror atm to a diff. box and since its a privat project it has not top priority..

My Firmware Mirror is usualy hosted on 2 boxes to have it redunant, unfortunatly the primary box is down and hopefully back up today.

btw: You will always get to one of the mirrors via mirror.box23.org

Edit: Just in case someone like stats ;-) For the month of March the Mirror generated about 2TB Traffic. :) Yay!

Upvote 0
might as well get a google ad in there :)

I was thinking the same and placed about 2 weeks an ad on the mainpage, but since noone is usualy visiting the main site it was kinda pointless.

This hits are coming from outside via directlinks, which makes ads obsolet.

Anyways, i dont complain about it. The mirror was intended to be open for the community and not a frickin "i have the longest epeen" project like samsung firmwares dot tk ;)

and a link to that online petition we were signing about half a year ago.

Drakaz has 50k hits on Galaxo 1.6.2, while only 3k people signed the petition.

Yeah. That's a shame. Good idea btw. I will do it with the next update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones