• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Latest Skype doesn't work on SGS...but Why?

LateNiteMike

According to a PocketNow article dated Oct.5th.....Skype (mobile) is now available for Android....BUT.....but.....one SGS owner commented saying..
frauhottelmann
icon10-external-url.png

Good job Skype, it doesn't work on the Galaxy S (unfortunately that's what I have)!!!
You simply can't log in on the Galaxy S. Too bad... :mad:
Then another poster wrote..."Same for me".

Unfortunately he only says "You simply can't log in..." and this leaves me wondering WHY NOT ? :confused:
If anyone out there knows exactly why we can't use our SGS to log in...then please enlighten the rest of us who are left wondering. It seems to me that if the exact reason is known then someone should be able to come up with a fix.

I opened the article hoping to (finally, at last) be able to use Skype....only to come away disappointed...again.
We seem so close....but still not there yet. Sigh...:(

This is the link to the article...
Skype for Android Available in the Market

So they wanted to forgo the current implementation? I wouldn't mind if they officially released Froyo out... still waiting. Just a lot of disappointment from these companies.

I added Skype on my SGS just so I can give it a 1 star rating and complain/comment about the lack of Galaxy S support. I laugh when i flip through the comments and see others doing the same. I think this is the best thing we could possibly do.

:D

I'm hearing some good things about Tango. Some saying it's better than Qik and Fring...but then some having some problems with it also.

Also,....which of the current (front camera) video apps have desktop apps to go along with them....anybody know?

They all seem to be still having 'teething' problems....so I'm thinking of just sitting things out until they can deliver a solid package. An app deserving 5 stars.

I back you 'tempest7' on giving them ONE star and then saying why in your comments.
Good to hear others are doing then same.

I believe that they did mention in the app description that it doesn't work on galaxy S yet
I got a galaxy S too and had the same problem , but I downloaded it only to be notified when there is an update :D

I can still use your 1-star-complaining-method thingie too .. but for some reason I feel that it's not necessary :P

Well, I'm starting to join the ranks of the legions of the ' somewhat pissed off ' with regards to the seeming lack of attention in these companies towards resolving issues like this one with Skype...and the 'GPS fix' thing with Samsung.
At last count there are now....FIVE MILLION Galaxy S units out there in the hands of people like you and I !
With that many owners and users.....it goes without saying that there are a LOT of people being IGNORED regarding these 'fixes'. So, why are we being ignored ???

It's not like these companies are not aware of these problems.....they are....but it sure as hell seems as if they have 'other'...'more important' things they'd rather be doing. What a crock !

Seems strange they didn't just make it a Froyo only requirement on the market. Better not to see it and find it doesn't work. There should be a way Google can block apps from appearing on phones software doesn't work for.

That said, they should have gotten it working.

Seems strange they didn't just make it a Froyo only requirement on the market. Better not to see it and find it doesn't work. There should be a way Google can block apps from appearing on phones software doesn't work for.

That said, they should have gotten it working.

They didn't make it a Froyo only requirement because it works just fine on Eclair phones, but just not all of them. The Galaxy S is specifically mentioned as one in the Market description. What else would you have them do at this point about warning you?

This is one of the problems with Androiod. Soooo many models, firmwares, manufacturer and carrier mods to the structure of the phones that it's bound to break something for someone.

Seriously, especially with the Galaxy S - there's at least 6 variants of the phone around the world (GT-i9000, GT-i9000m (canada), GT-i9000(Brazil), Vibrant, Captivate, Fascinate). You'd think that the i9000s at least would be software compatible, and the Vibrant with them since the hardware's virtually identical, but they all have differnt boot loaders, partition schemes, etc. Not to mention TouchWiz on top of everything.

Granted, a high profile app like Skype ought to work on what is rapidly becoming the most popular phone in the Android community (5-million + sold!), but on the other hand, they've been working on it for a while, and the SGS is still fairly new to most, AND there is something about the SGS that breaks softwares - I have several apps that have specific warnings about not working with the Galaxy S. I think the blame here should go on Samsung and their mods to the phone, NOT on Skype.

Well, here's the latest. Skype sent a Gmail to me notifying me that Skype is now available for Android devices. Now, I have Skype on my PC and I don't know how they got wind of the fact that I had previously checked into downloading it to my SGS (Android device)....but somehow they were aware of the fact.
So, with the good news I'd just received directly from them I used my SGS and went to the site they told me to....skype.com/m.
Then when I went to download it....it came up with an error message that said 'Skype Mobile is unavailable for your device'.
What a crock ! I couldn't believe I was silly enough to actually BELIEVE what they told me in the email was true !
So, I sent back an email to them asking them if one department knew what the other department was doing...because it sure as hell didn't seem to me that they did.
I was left wondering why one department would go to all the trouble to send me a personal email telling me that their software was READY for my very own Android device....while the other department was busy sending out an error message telling me it wasn't !

So far no email follow up from Skype....so it would seem that SGS owners are STILL on the waiting list for a usable Skype app. What a crock.

well, i dunno da reason why this is happening.... but, i found a work-around that seems to work.

basically, if you have another skype account, try logging in with this account (this account shud b different from the one u r haven't bn able to login with before). if this also doesn't work, then create a new skype account thru the app itself.... u shud b able to log into the newly created account. now, log out of this account and try logging back into ur original account again....

this worked for me and havent had any logging in issues since...

cheers,

Well, here's the latest. Skype sent a Gmail to me notifying me that Skype is now available for Android devices. Now, I have Skype on my PC and I don't know how they got wind of the fact that I had previously checked into downloading it to my SGS (Android device)....but somehow they were aware of the fact.
So, with the good news I'd just received directly from them I used my SGS and went to the site they told me to....skype.com/m.
Then when I went to download it....it came up with an error message that said 'Skype Mobile is unavailable for your device'.
What a crock ! I couldn't believe I was silly enough to actually BELIEVE what they told me in the email was true !
So, I sent back an email to them asking them if one department knew what the other department was doing...because it sure as hell didn't seem to me that they did.
I was left wondering why one department would go to all the trouble to send me a personal email telling me that their software was READY for my very own Android device....while the other department was busy sending out an error message telling me it wasn't !

So far no email follow up from Skype....so it would seem that SGS owners are STILL on the waiting list for a usable Skype app. What a crock.

it doesn't install in my sgs either when i followed the link from the email they sent. perhaps it is related to the carrier or location/country. however, when i go to the android market and installed skype, i was able to install and logged into it without trouble at all. so i suggest you install skype from the android market, it's free. hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom