• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G-Flex 2/Piqued my curiosity

ajdroidx

Android Expert
Oct 8, 2011
Colorado
I have been toying with the idea of picking up the first flex out of curiosity but I never really got around to it. Giving the situation with trying to get my hands on an Nexus 6 (which to me is not so much a toy as a daily driver). The new G flex 2 for me is more of a toy, or novelty if that makes sense.

Anyway, looks like AT&T is going to eventually carry this thing, my Nexus 5 should hold me over. The Nexus 6 is hard to get. The note 4 too bloated down, but this flex 2 is something that has got my attention.

Oh, and I fully expect an encrypted bootloader and probably no root seeing as its AT&T

Anyone else?

I had the original & it was one of my favorite phones to date.
The sequel is much better IMHO (1080 p HD/SD Card/slightly smaller-more manageable size).
It's gonna be difficult to pass this one up,but,may wait for a price drop,as the original was premium-priced & soon after release,saw several price cuts (on T-MOBILE).

Reactions: GamerCore
Upvote 0
After problems with GPS in the Nexus 5 and LG G2, I've just about sworn off LG phones altogether. This LG G Flex 2 has me tempted to try out LG again....

Got to play with it at CES and although you'd expect the Snapdragon 810 would FLY (especially with the 1080p display), but I noticed an alarming amount of TouchWiz-like lag. Probably should have documented it on video, but you can literally count "one one thousand" after tapping an icon before it opens the app.

Then again, I'm sure the software was super early and will need to be further optimized.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
After problems with GPS in the Nexus 5 and LG G2, I've just about sworn off LG phones altogether. This LG G Flex 2 has me tempted to try out LG again....
Until recently,I'd always kept GPS off & used WI-FI for location purposes,due to battery life concerns.
However,this seems to be another issue that is virtually non-existent on most top-end phones recently released.
If/when I get the FLEX2,I'll leave the GPS on 24/7,as I do w/the NOTE4 & post my findings/experiences w/GPS accuracy/reliability.

Upvote 0
Perhaps some good news for those on T-MOBILE:

Not sure how long the LG G3 has been marked down by approx. $100,(now on-sale for $499):
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/lg-g3.html#Metallic-Black

Since the G3 is a flagship-level phone & on sale,I'd say T-MOBILE is scurrying to clear out as many of these as possible,lest they get stuck w/'em,betting that most would chose the G FLEX2 if priced equally.

I'm betting an announcement will be forthcoming before the end of January 2015.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I'm really interested in this phone. I almost got the first G Flex, but after playing with it at the T-Mobile store I was unimpressed with the pixelated screen resolution and some ghosting (sounds like that won't be an issue on the Flex 2 -- at least the large pixel part). For $200 less I got the LG G2 instead, so LG won either way.

Same here. My G2 contract is almost up, and i'm torn between getting the G3 or waiting for the Flex 2. Never had a problem with LG phones, and that includes my N5.:p

Upvote 0
Same here. My G2 contract is almost up, and i'm torn between getting the G3 or waiting for the Flex 2. Never had a problem with LG phones, and that includes my N5.:p

Just one persons 2 centavos here:
Spend the extra $ & move up to the FLEX2 or wait for the G4.

I've owned both the G2 & G3 & if I had to choose between the 2 again,I'd take the G2 every time.

I myself didn't care for the G3 version of QHD & w/reports of so-so battery life & thermal throttling,IMHO,it's not the best choice for an upgrade at any price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Just one persons 2 centavos here:
Spend the extra $ & move up to the FLEX2 or wait for the G4.

I've owned both the G2 & G3 & if I had to choose between the 2 again,I'd take the G2 very time.

I myself didn't care for the G3 version of QHD & w/reports of so-so battery life & thermal throttling,IMHO,it's not the best choice for an upgrade at any price.

I only know two people who own and use the G3. Neither of them have had any problems at all. I've read about some people with issues, but these guys told me that if they had to do it again, they would both buy another G3. In fairness, i have to say that only one of them had traded up from a G2. The other had a Samsung Galaxy S3. When it comes to "problem phones", i guess it's just the luck of the draw.:p

Upvote 0
Well,I'd all but forgot about this phone,being on T-Mobile & the AT&T version is the only one compatible.
Surprisingly,the AT&T variant is rootable,& AFAICT,that is the beginning & end of development.
Root is fine,I can disable the unwanted bloat & keep the rest,which looks decent to me.
Came across a sale on e-Bay,for the AT&T version,BNIB with an unlock code for $250 out the door:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...n-ebay-for-250-40-less-than-it-was-last-time/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171838677560#shpCntId?rmvSB=true

[Deal Alert] Buy A Brand Spanking New Unlocked AT&T LG G Flex 2 On eBay For $250 ($40 Less Than It Was Last Time)
ap_resize.php

Couldn't pass it up,paid an extra $5.00 for USPS Priority shipping,ETA 9/23/15

Upvote 0
If anyone is still interested,the G-FLEX2 is back on-sale once again,Brand New In-Box for $249.99:
LG G Flex2 H950 Platinum Silver Unlocked 4G LTE (Latest Model)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-G-Flex2-H950-Platinum-Silver-Unlocked-4G-LTE-Latest-Model-/171838677560
s-l1600.jpg

I'm totally diggin' mine,any processor/purported performance issues have been addressed in one of the 5.1.1 updates.
Only thing that irks me is the AT&T Branding,as you need AT&T Service/SIM Card to get updates pushed to the phone (less root methods).
A PM to an AT&T Forum/Community Moderator was also required to get the two updates pushed to the phone,as the CSR's on the phone were of no help whatsoever,insisting the updates get pushed by the mfg. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Once in-touch w/the moderator,the updates were pushed within minutes,so,hopefully,this bit of info will save some from the wasted time & aggravation.

Otherwise,a very cool phone.May just keep it for a while & take a pass on the LG V-10...................... :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Well,I'd all but forgot about this phone,being on T-Mobile & the AT&T version is the only one compatible.
Surprisingly,the AT&T variant is rootable,& AFAICT,that is the beginning & end of development.
Root is fine,I can disable the unwanted bloat & keep the rest,which looks decent to me.
Came across a sale on e-Bay,for the AT&T version,BNIB with an unlock code for $250 out the door:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...n-ebay-for-250-40-less-than-it-was-last-time/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171838677560#shpCntId?rmvSB=true

[Deal Alert] Buy A Brand Spanking New Unlocked AT&T LG G Flex 2 On eBay For $250 ($40 Less Than It Was Last Time)
ap_resize.php

Couldn't pass it up,paid an extra $5.00 for USPS Priority shipping,ETA 9/23/15

I just got this device. What method did you use to root it (AT&T 5.1.1 ver 11x).

Thanks!!!!

Upvote 0
I just got this device. What method did you use to root it (AT&T 5.1.1 ver 11x).

Thanks!!!!

TBH I can't remember (sold the phone not too long after rooting),but,I'd start here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/g-flex2/general/lg-g-flex-2-rooted-t3052210

If you use something other than Super SU to root (KingRoot/One-Click/KingoRoot),I highly recommend getting the app Super SUME (PRO) & install Super SU,which rids the adware/malware left behind by Kingroot & the like:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=darkslide.com.supersumepro&hl=en
Take your time if you have to use this app,as instructions vary depending on which method & revision number you used to root.
(If you rooted w/SUPER SU,the Super SUME PRO app is not needed,as Super SU does not install hidden malware/adware/spyware).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones