• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG G4 issues

Phantomracer

Lurker
Aug 11, 2015
Have had my (AT&T) LG G4 w/128g sandisk memory) for the last few weeks trying to get used to it. Coming from a GS4.

Before I return the phone, I was wondering if the problems are common and/or have fixes.

I called LG, they ONLY wanted to do a factory reset. Nothing else. Ah no. Took me weeks to get to this point. Not starting again! If I have to do this every few weeks..that would get old, fast!!

The phone will freeze solid a few times a day, for a couple minutes or so..Literally turns into an expensive Hershey Bar. When it comes back, it is slow. I can reboot the phone, and it is fine for a while longer...(after it executes the stored taps while it was frozen)

The phone is just slow. I turn the camera on, takes 5-10 seconds to come on, about 5 seconds to take another picture. Pictures are great, however.

Slacker radio (even in offline mode) freezes every few minutes (have to hit play again on the phone). Sometime the app just goes away and I have to relaunch it.

Music freezes regularly (app freezes or songs stop playing or app closes all together)

Waze freezes regularly

Gallery can take 10 seconds to open. Slow to go pic to pic...

When it freezes and you hit the screen a few times.. It remembers the taps and stores and executes them all at once in a frenzy

I have fewer apps than on my GS4. I selectively reduced then when migrating to the G4.

I am not a power user. 90% of what I use is Slacker and Waze. Time to time check Facebook and email.

I am taxing the phone less than my galaxy, but the phone, as it is now, is slower in all respects. The only thing superior, at this point, is the quality of the camera.

It is just behaving badly. This is my first LG, I am withholding judgement on the phone til I can get the bugs out..but got to keep an eye on the return date (90 days) so I can return it and revert back to the GS4 if I need to, since there is no other good phone out there that fits my needs at the moment (unless Samsung decides to put back a removable battery/memory chip)

Thanks!!

Paul

Well I've had my G4 for about 3 1/2 weeks now and I came from the G2,
I have had none of your issues with my G4.
And if I was having the same issues as you.I would try what AT&T support said and do a factory reset,And see if that solves the problem.If it doesn't,Then I would return it.

BTW I am moving your thread to the G4 sub forum.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I'm running UK G4 and I haven't had any of the problems stated, sorry but sounds like a defective set. Swap under warranty I'm sure you shouldn't have any issues. The only bug I have found is that it will as you say freeze a couple of times per day, although not as long as yours does, maybe 5-10 seconds and only seems to be when I hit "send" on text. Like yours it stores the taps after just not responding. I'm hoping this will be fixed in an update as is frustrating when you just want to quickly reply to a text and get it back in your pocket.

Upvote 0
My G4 is useless since the update the other day. Wifi continually turning itself off, no Gmail or Whatsapp notifications while on wifi (same issue the G3 had), crappy gps, Android Device Manager can no longer locate my other devices, etc. And I'm not the only one. Coworker has the same phone, and the update did the same to his. So tired of LG.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones