• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lg Optimus S discharging issues

ncroyboy

Lurker
Gingerbread update killed my Optimus S so I exchanged it at the sprint store for a stock 2.2.2 phone and did not do any updates. Now the phone will only charge when its turned on and plugged into a hard wired LG charger or the car charger, not the stock usb charger adapter it came with. If I get a 100% charge, shut the phone off and keep it plugged in, it discharges like a mad man! Obviously it has some issues with the USB/charger port, but I can't get a straight answer from sprint! Is this an android issue, LG issue, or a bum phone? Never the less, this stinks and should be taken care of. Any one else have any luck in getting to the bottom of this?

Scott
LG Optimus S
HTC Hero (still going strong!)

I didn’t do Gingerbread and haven’t changed anything in weeks, but today I could just sit here and watch it discharging -- it used to last all day. Seems like something was zapped into my phone, but its info hasn’t changed, 2.2.2 and all that. Anyway, the title of your thread caught my eye...

If it charges on a hard-wired charger but not on the original charger with detachable USB cable, it's probably because the USB cable went bad. I've had several USB cables go bad.

That wouldn't explain the discharging. I don't think Gingerbread has been accused of discharging the phone.

I hope you get to the bottom of this bro I'm having battery issues now I'm going to assume my battery is just going bad but if that's not it I don't know what it could be

Seems like something was zapped into my phone

Wow, don’t even remember saying that. Still on Froyo, but it lasts all day, as long as I try to keep it in my pocket. Maybe the difference is adding:

JuiceDefender Plus even though I could probably do it myself
Connection Manager to keep 3G off when not needed
Brightness Widget - Backlight! to keep display at 25% except in sunlight

And vamoosed a lot of pesky apps since then, replaced with polite ones.

I have gone through several cables used for charging. If while charging, the phone drops off the table, or the connector gets bent, the cable goes bad pretty easily. I now use chargers that let you just plug in a usb cable between the charger and the phone.
One different tale about battery life. For some reason, when I travelled cross country, I found areas with marginal Sprint service would cause the phone to discharge the battery very quickly. By the way, I got one of those oversized batteries that comes with a special back for the phone and am happy for the extra usage before a charge is needed. I have read about the battery discharge problems others have had, but with the exception of trips, have had no problems like that.

Back
Top Bottom