• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Linking chat app to launch from contacts.

Loota

Android Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2012
Rockland, NY
Hello, I've been trying to find an app that will launch when I click chat on a contact. What I mean is if I have a friend that has aim and I go to their contact page I click "chat using aim" and the app I use for chatting pops up and Im good to go. IM+ did this but very poorly (meaning the app launched but would not allow me to chat with the person). It currently works for google talk (by launching google talk) but I would prefer an app that would let me talk across aim, facebook, gtalk, and skype and to my knowledge google talk does not support those chat protocols.

I recently reset my phone back to stock thinking maybe it somehow got corrupted when IM+ was on there and it would just work properly once I installed an app for chatting but no dice.

I currently use imo which I am very happy with. My searches have lead me to a file called strings.xml that I may be able to edit to link chat protocols to an app of my choice but I can't find that file. I am not very knowledgeable about the android structure so for all I know that could be a precompiled file lol.

In any case does anyone know of a way to set imo to open and start chatting with someone when I click "chat using aim, skype etc.." under their contacts page? If not does anyone know an app that properly opens when someone clicks "chat using <blank>"?

Thanks in advance for the help.. I know I've rambled a bit ;)

Edit:
Ok, after doing a little more searching I have found some info I thought I'd post for others.

Apparently this was a new feature in November 2009 some app developers have just not implemented it..

This feature's implementation in the following apps..

Aim - failed
Ebuddy - failed
Gtalk - Works (but only supports Google talk?)
ICQ - failed
IMO - failed (also not included in the imo beta app)
IM+ Pro - Works (apparently they fixed whatever issue I was having before.
Meebo - I have not tried but some sources says that this app works, facebook support has been removed so it was not worth downloading for me.
Other people who asked the same question (but oddly enough it did not show up with the suggested similar topics when I posted).

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/14942-aim.html

http://androidforums.com/application-requests/21340-integrated-messenger-contacts.html

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones