• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Linux for Mobile? How good is it, and does it give the Android experience?

Windroid

Android Enthusiast
My next phone will probably be either a Vollaphone X23 (removable battery, pure AOSP without Google services and the option to dual-boot Ubuntu, Or maybe a Pinephone Pro Also with a removable battery ans most things are user replaceable - just no Android only Linux (and there are quite a few mobile Linux distros for it now.)
How are the mobile Linux distributions? And particularly: Do they give you the Android experience? That is: Do they run Android apps, do they give you the Android navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen (back, desktop, switch apps), etc.?

The only mobile Linux distros I knew of were Tizen and Meego, both of which are pretty dead. Dead like Symbian. Meego died in 2011, while Tizen I think might still be on Samsung's TV platform, but their watches no longer utilize it, having gone WearOS since the Watch 4+, and I don't think Samsung ever made a recent smartphone using Tizen.

Meego actually looked quite modern in 2011 on the Nokia N9:

nokia-n9-family.jpg.cf.jpg

@Windroid - the Pinephone Pro and original Pinephone are pure Linux, but the Vollaphone runs vanilla AOSP without Google services as standard, and can dual boot Ubuntu mobile (UBPorts) - the main thing is they all have removable batteries. The original pinephone has s dock and can connect USB keyboard & Mouse and a monitor so can be used as a desktop.

I have heard of postmarketOS. It gives both a desktop/android experience as shown in its wiki

I have heard of postmarketOS. It gives both a desktop/android experience as shown in its wiki
Perhaps, but that doesn't necessarily make it the Linux-Android hybrid I'm hoping for.

#1: Can it run Android apps? That's the most important thing. Windows, to it's credit, can do that.

#2: Does it have the Android/iOS style swiping and launcher? Windows doesn't, it has it's own swiping system and lacks a tablet-style launcher.

#3: Can the Google Play store be installed onto it? It can't on Windows.

#4: Does it have the desktop-style minimize/maximize/close buttons at the upper left? Windows does, and that makes it poorly suited as a tablet OS, because it's easy to press the close button by mistake.

Back
Top Bottom