• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root linux on hydro

kaelusa

Lurker
So has anyone got Linux running on this beastie? I heard a rumour about backtrack 10 on the rise. I assume you format an ext partition on the sdcard and build Linux there, but What about the locked bootloader and the inability to create a loop device? On an unrelated note, someone should provide a copy of their flash utility.

Im currently working on it, I soft bricked by deleting /system/bin/sh but I had a boot script that auto mounts system rw and adb working with busybox, es with root privileges already installed and some ingenuity I overcame :P, I have a Ubuntu lucid built (around 3 today) and I'm working on getting chroot to work as it reports /system/bin/sh won't exec correctly??? But I will find a workaround by tomorrow night, I gotta finish my write up on adb usage over on the rise forums. I also have no SD so I have /data/media mounted as SD card but I'm limited to the 1 gig /data share :( so my Ubuntu image is a lean 256 mb an has busybox built in, nano, and a few other cli tools. Once booted I will see about x11 for the graphics part :P
- Sent from C5170

Update, got it working, But Its just a simple bash shell, with no external binaries working (ls, cp, mv, busybox, nada).

I have paused this for a few days to focus on development on the Galaxy Stellar, when I finish the Ubuntu 13.04 build I will upload links to my other post.
I pretty much just have an error with wget on the device

I have paused this for a few days to focus on development on the Galaxy Stellar, when I finish the Ubuntu 13.04 build I will upload links to my other post.
I pretty much just have an error with wget on the device

I see you took a few days off of this, but that looks like it was quite a while ago. Have you made any progress? I tried to see if there were any newer posts. I just got one of these for $15 and rooted it. I was hoping to install a basic linux distro to use with VNC around the house. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom