• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root local.prop question - keep other apps in memory?

never seen a way to do it.. but I think one of the caveats with this trick is you have to be careful about what you apply it to, not everything can have priority and remember, the system has things it's doing that need "priority"

BTW, why would it mattter if Google Talk gets killed or not? When it is needed, it starts up. I use it all the time and never have issues with it as the system knows when it gets a message and fires it up when needed.

The thing about the launcher is that the system trys and does kill it off (so the theory is we can get screen lag and redraws) and we go to the launcher so much we do not want it killed so we want that kept in memory and let it kill off other things. But regular apps like GT - I see no value in that as I bet you use the launcher 100 to 1 over GT in terms of how many times you call upon it to function.

Upvote 0
never seen a way to do it.. but I think one of the caveats with this trick is you have to be careful about what you apply it to, not everything can have priority and remember, the system has things it's doing that need "priority"

BTW, why would it mattter if Google Talk gets killed or not? When it is needed, it starts up. I use it all the time and never have issues with it as the system knows when it gets a message and fires it up when needed.

The thing about the launcher is that the system trys and does kill it off (so the theory is we can get screen lag and redraws) and we go to the launcher so much we do not want it killed so we want that kept in memory and let it kill off other things. But regular apps like GT - I see no value in that as I bet you use the launcher 100 to 1 over GT in terms of how many times you call upon it to function.

I want to keep them both in memory.. i assumed it would just be another line in local.prop. Sometimes when I pull up GT, i found out it has been killed by the system and it takes a little bit to get logged back in etc. I think the local.prop exacerbates this, so I'm looking for another line to keep this program up too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones