• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Location alarm app

fldude99

Android Expert
Has anyone found a good app that sounds an alarm when you're approaching a pre selected location? I'm using the Samsung GS2. Tried a couple, but they either don't work well or destroy the battery..or both

I hear you about the battery thing. I'm tuned into this thread to get answers as well but I'm confident we are looking for an app that uses coarse based location. I've a feeling GPS will drain the battery in most all situations.

What you're asking needs the GPS turned on and actively navigating. That will really do kill your battery.

Maybe Llama can do this at less battery drain?

Both Tasker and Automateit can determine what cell towers you are on and can perform actions as you dictate based on detecting those towers.

In Automateit I selected:
- "Cell ID Trigger" and then walked the perimeter of my home and detected the two to three possible cell towers I could be connected to
- then the action was to turn on wifi when one of those towers was detected. (in your case the action could be "Play Sound Action")

Automateit has both free and paid versions if you want to try it out. Tasker is only paid.

Back