• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locking icons on homepage

Dave784

Aug 5, 2021
Hi All

I have a Metro PCS Moto G phone and been trying to find out how to LOCK my icons on my screen as I accidentally removed a folder earlier and had to re-put all my icons back into the folder.

I know on my wife's Samsung tablet we can lock her icons but could not find a setting like that on my Moto G. Where can I find this is is there a free app that will just simple let me lock my icons onto the home page so I don't accidentally remove the icon?

Thanks

Is your Moto G an older model, probably still running Lollipop (ver. 5.x) or a newer model running Android 12?
If the former, yeah you'll need to try a third-party launcher. That will allow you a lot more granular control over the user interface.
If the latter, there's likely to be already an option in the Settings menu. Negating the need to install a third-party solution. Open your Settings menu, and in the upper Search bar type in lock home and in the results should be something like a 'Lock Home screen layout' option.

Upvote 0
Is your Moto G an older model, probably still running Lollipop (ver. 5.x) or a newer model running Android 12?
If the former, yeah you'll need to try a third-party launcher. That will allow you a lot more granular control over the user interface.
If the latter, there's likely to be already an option in the Settings menu. Negating the need to install a third-party solution. Open your Settings menu, and in the upper Search bar type in lock home and in the results should be something like a 'Lock Home screen layout' option.
Must be older I know I have had the phone a couple of years like maybe 2020 as don't think I got it in 21 but could be wrong.

Any other free options for this as I don't want to pay for an app merely to lock the layout isn't that big an issue but would like to lock it if there is a free app option to do so that's the only feature I really need or want.

Upvote 0
I'm telling you Nova is a legit launcher. It's so customizable and makes the feel like an entirely new phone. Prime is only a one time payment. Been using it since the HTC hero came out decades ago.

Just saying.
and it's not worth the cost merely to lock my screen as I said above. That's the only feature I want is the ability to lock my icons in place as I accidentally removed an entire folder of icons from my home screen which made me have to reset up all those icons and the folder again. Other then locking the screen I have no interest in any other feature as I don't use my phone all that much unless out and even then it's not used all that much

Upvote 0
I *think* the ability to lock the screen is part of the free Nova app. I have the prime version but 2 friends have the free version and I'm pretty positive they've both locked their layouts.
It's worth a try maybe, uninstall it if it's not what you want - no harm no foul.
I searched quickly and didn't see anything right off the bat, just launchers.

Upvote 0
I *think* the ability to lock the screen is part of the free Nova app. I have the prime version but 2 friends have the free version and I'm pretty positive they've both locked their layouts.
It's worth a try maybe, uninstall it if it's not what you want - no harm no foul.
I'll check again in case but didn't see much options in the free version when I installed it earlier

Upvote 0
OK I did find the setting it was at the bottom under the advanced settings. Next question I guess is can I use NOVA (Free) and select the Android layout as when using NOVA it seems it removes all my icons which would force me to reset the whole phone up again so is there a setting to let me select the android layout without having to reset up all my icons and folders again??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones