• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lollipop auto-brightness less pleasing

Verizon S5 updated to Lollipop yesterday. So far I like it, or don't mind most of it.

One thing I really do not like is the functionality of auto-brightness. On KitKat I really liked how well it worked. It always seemed to be at the perfect brightness.

Now on Lollipop it is always way too dim, to the point I've turned off auto and manually set the brightness which completely defeats any battery saving efforts.

Anyone else notice this?

Mine started doing it too after the update. I went into settings and then the brightness setting and a message popped up stating that the brightness could not be automatically adjusted higher due to overheating. I have noticed my s5 has been warmer and the battery life has also been less. Hope they plan on addressing these issues.

Can anyone confirm if a Factory Reset fixed the screen brightness issue?

I hope a factory reset isn't the fix for this. I already had to factory reset last month because the "Send help" feature didn't work. It is always a pain getting your phone home screens and apps back to the way you got use to it before a factory reset.

It is always a pain getting your phone home screens and apps back to the way you got use to it before a factory reset.

You can restore homescreens real easy if you will install Nova Launcher, then have it save the homescreens to the extSDcard or email them to yourself.

that is part of my backup process. I hate rebuilding all of the home screens.
Kies can restore the apps, Nova can restore the Homescreens.
Superbackup can restore the apps across OS platforms. again, make sure you emailed the backups, or saved them to the extSDcard and copied to your PC.

Well I bit the bullet and did a factory restore. FIVE hours later after getting everything back the way I like it and all apps reconfigured the auto-brightness is no better. It's obviously a lollipop issue.

I can say that the general system lag that presented itself after the OWA is now gone. It's actually quite snappy. The camera app was so horribly slow I rarely ever used it. Now it opens and is ready to use in 1.5 seconds. Opening the Gallery from within the camera app took 5 seconds now it is down to 2.

Last edited:
It's now fair to say that pre-Lollipop I was very capable of getting almost 48 hours on one battery charge and post-lollipop I'm lucky if I can get 24. And I did a factory rest. That should have cleared any OWA battery issues.

Verizon auto brightness with Lolipop just plain sux! It is too dim to be functional. This app overrides stock AB and works as it should: Velis Auto Brightness

Last edited:
This app (Velis Auto Brightness) seems to be working pretty well but I had to go on and turn off notifications for it because it's banner stayed on the lock screen. It's a decent temporary work around for a unacceptable issue!

Just ran across something really weird. I was playing around with the power saving/screen brightness & restrict performance settings and turned them all on then went back in and turned them off and now my brightness settings seem normal (without velis app), the proximity sensor seems way more responsive when ending calls, and the phone itself seems tally snappy..... This all may only last for a little while but for right now (15 mins) it's reminding me how the phone is supposed to work.
I wonder if the update somehow caused a glitch in the "restrict performance" settings and turning it on then off again clears it???

Where is restrict performance?

I'm not on Lollipop, but I use the Search feature in Settings a lot to find things. Type in 'res' or 'per' or other 2 or 3 letter combos to try and find things you want.

I can do that faster than going thru the menus for most things.

Doing the above, turned up Settings/Power Saving/Power saving mode/Restrict performance
.... please note, this is a 4.4.4 menu. Okay?

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Well, that was short lived, brightness is back to not working..... Really weird, I wonder if it had something to do with installing velis and then uninstalling it.

Nice thing about Velis, you can create profiles to quickly switch between brightness levels, for example i have 7%, 14% and 25% (which means that percentage more than stock auto brightness) I generally stay around 14% brighter than stock AB

Back
Top Bottom