• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lollipop Cache Partition Wipe

emmzone22

Since downloading the Lollipop update, I can no longer do a cache partition wipe. I can get to the android in distress logo, but that's it. I've done cache partition wipes weekly with this phone and never had an issue doing it until now. Has it changed?

I don;t know. I have not seen it documented anywhere. The last Wipe Cache Partitions that I did took 10min on the Turbo and 14 min on the Maxx. I have not seen that explained anywhere either.

Under 4.4.4 on the Maxx the Factory Data Reset also did a Wipe Cache Partition and then a new release stopped doing it and after a few releases it started doing it again.

If I was going to do it I would do a Factory Data Reset and then do a Wipe Cache Partition.

(How can you tell if a Wipe Cache Partition was done other than to do it?)

... Thom

It should be normal operating procedure to wipe cache when doing a factory reset. You want no data leaking after a factory reset at all. If a data reset didn't do a cache wipe, I'm sure that was a mistake. (And how do you know that it wasn't done?)

It should be normal operating procedure to wipe cache when doing a factory reset. You want no data leaking after a factory reset at all. If a data reset didn't do a cache wipe, I'm sure that was a mistake. (And how do you know that it wasn't done?)

I have not done a Factory Data Reset on the Turbo after the 5.1 upgrade so I don't have an answer. I did one earlier today on a Maxx running 4.4.4 and the progress report indicated that it was doing it.

The problem cropped up in the past for about two releases. It was common practice to hear someone recommend a Factory Data Reset to correct performance problems. That stopped working and no one knew why.

It seems likely that the performance problems were being corrected by a Wipe Cache Partition that was part of the Factory Data Reset.

An aside ... I always wondered after that ... people would say their phone was getting laggy because it was old ... carriers would sell them a new phone ... my guess is the vat majority of them could have been corrected with a Wipe Cache Partition.

So ... has anyone who did a Factory Data Rest on the Turbo since 5.1 looked at the progress log?

... Thom

i had no issue doing it the "normal" way.

Two things changed ...

In Kit Kat when the guy was on his back ... hold down Volume Up for about 6 seconds and while still holding tap power.
In Lollipop when the guy is on his back ... hold down Power for about 6 seconds and while still holding tap Volume Up.

In Kit Kat when done it automatically does a normal load.
In Lollipop when done you need to press Power to start the normal load.

... Thom

An aside ... I always wondered after that ... people would say their phone was getting laggy because it was old ... carriers would sell them a new phone ... my guess is the vat majority of them could have been corrected with a Wipe Cache Partition.
Quite frankly, I think that you overvalue a cache partition wipe. I think it makes little difference in almost every case. I've seen no controlled experiment that shows that regular wiping of the cache partition has any affect on performance or battery life.

Back
Top Bottom