• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lollipop update on Cricket

Hello, anyone know how I'm supposed to get the 5.0 update when my AT&T branded phone is on Cricket? I just purchased this phone and I'm not getting anything OTA nor is Kies 3 giving me any option to upgrade saying I am already up to date.

Second question, should I even bother updating? I've been reading about a lot of bugs.

Thanks!

Hello, anyone know how I'm supposed to get the 5.0 update when my AT&T branded phone is on Cricket? I just purchased this phone and I'm not getting anything OTA nor is Kies 3 giving me any option to upgrade saying I am already up to date.

Second question, should I even bother updating? I've been reading about a lot of bugs.

Thanks!

Your phone is the AT&T G900A, CSC code ATT, running the carrier hybrid firmware as per #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

However, since AT&T and not Samsung, issue the updates for this model, you will not be updated by AT&T, OTA, as you are no longer on their network.

On the other hand, the carrier variant for Cricket, model G900AZ, is, I believe, still on Android 4.4.2, KitKat. This is updated by Samsung, as and when Cricket choose to update. However, that update, when it comes, will be available to phones with the CSC code for Cricket, AIO, see #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

You could, when Cricket release Lollipop, download and flash the firmware via Odin as per #1.11 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:
Reactions: CamaroZ28c
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. So Kies checks the sim card? Could I just remove the sim card? The phone is an at&t phone so I would think Kies would apply the update according to the phone model and not the network it happens to be using at the moment.

Kies checks the phones internal CSC code and Product code.

Sorry, I just reread what you said and I believe you are saying that Kies has never been an option, regardless of my network, since at&t uses the hydrid rom, correct?

This is where I could be proven wrong as I am in the U.K. but as far as I know, AT&T does not use the Samsung Kies PC suite for updates, see, Upgrade Device Software for the Samsung Galaxy S5 (G900A) to Android 5.0 (Lollipop)

Upvote 0
Just an update, I borrowed a SIM card from a coworker on AT&T and installed the OTA 5.0 that way. I did a factory reset immediately after the update and so far I haven't noticed anything bad about Lollipop other than hating the orange texting color. Battery life may or may not be impacted since the update, but I'm not sure because I've been fiddling with it so much. Thanks again for your help ironass!

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for the information guys, i have an at&t s5 and i am not in the USA, i cannot update it as updates are not available, is it possible that i can use the cricket update on my phone?

Hello and welcome to Android Forums kingpinn

As per the last paragraph in post #2...

You could, when Cricket release Lollipop, download and flash the firmware via Odin as per #1.11 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

There has just been a Lollipop update for the Cricket model, G900AZ...

Model SM-G900AZ
Model name GALAXY S5 (Cricket)
Country Unknown
Version Android 5.0
Changelist 4837836
Build date Fri, 22 May 2015 11:45:08 +0000
Product code AIO
PDA G900AZTUU2BOE2
CSC G900AZAIO2BOE2

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That can only be installed using the instructions in the link and is not an Odin flashable .tar file.

i have two more questions.

1. Since you didn't say i cant install it, if it do it that way what would happen?

2. It says i should have 4.4.4 but i have 4.4.2. Does that make a difference?

I just want to get lollipop, anything after doesn't matter to me.

Upvote 0
i have two more questions.

1. Since you didn't say i cant install it, if it do it that way what would happen?

Wel, if the guide is correct, you will be on eiter stock, un-rooted, AT&T firmware or on the rooted version, depending on which one you choose. This would be for competent users I would stress. Back everything up beforehand.

2. It says i should have 4.4.4 but i have 4.4.2. Does that make a difference?

I would have to say... yes, as this guide states the same thing and probably needs the updated and expanded bootloader of AT&T Android 4.4.4 before you can go to Lollipop.

Upvote 0
Wel, if the guide is correct, you will be on eiter stock, un-rooted, AT&T firmware or on the rooted version, depending on which one you choose. This would be for competent users I would stress. Back everything up beforehand.

I would have to say... yes, as this guide states the same thing and probably needs the updated and expanded bootloader of AT&T Android 4.4.4 before you can go to Lollipop.

okay again thank you, Is the file the one from Cricket, is it an odin flashable.tar file?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones