• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Looking for help (battery issue)

First of hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.
I have been using this website for some time now but first time to make an account as I would just be reading from here but recently I have had some problems with the phone.

Firstly the battery life is bananas on it, I will charge it to full and after 1 hour gone, with maybe only sending a few texts or calls I'm down to 80%, now it is just in my pocket until I finish work for around 6 hours without doing anything to it. When I next look at it it will be around 20% and within 30 minutes of it being at 20% it will be depleted and turned off and won't turn on again until I plug the charger back in, I have tried countless things before buying a new battery but I would try typing here first maybe you clever guys can help me out.

Secondly my camera, L.E.D light flashlight, videorecorder; none of this works I will press the app button for a periodic second I will get a black screen and from there it will just close and go back to the app screen.

Thanks for reading and hope you guys can help me out thanks a lot.

How old is your phone and the battery? If you have tried the battery re-calibration steps (Charge-Switch off-Charge-Switch on-Switch off-Charge-On) then the only thing you can do is to get a new battery.
The batteries are made to withstand a specific number of recharge cycles or some duration. After that the battery starts behaving as yours is doing. I have seen that happen in other phones too.

For the camera issue: What are the details of your phone, OS etc.?

Hi.

I would start by looking at what your phone is trying to sync automatically. I've found this is the key to a lot of battery drain issues, particularly if you're in a week mobile signal area. I had a similar problem a while ago where one of my Twitter apps ("Peep" I think, which I don't even use!) was constantly trying to sync but failing, therefore draining the battery.

In reality you can do without most things syncing until you actually open them, so definitely worth going through all your settings carefully and see what is unnecessarily set. Look in both the "Accounts & sync" under "All Settings" and also within individual apps such as Facebook. For example, Facebook will sync every hour by default, which is pointless as the data is already out of date when you next open the app, as you will naturally pull down on the feed screen to get the very latest info anyway. In settings I have still have the messenger, chat and all notifications switched on, but refresh interval set to "never".

Reading from top down in Accounts & sync, I let Facebook sync contacts, then allow Facebook for HTC Sence to sync contacts just once a day and have everything else unticked. I allow Google to just sync contacts, gmail and calendar and untick everything else as I don't need it. HTC I disable the whole lot and switch it to "update when opened"/as items change (push). Switch News, Stocks and Twitter for HTC Sense all to "update when opened". Cancel Twitter syncing, as you can do that when you open the app anyway (like Facebook). Finally I leave the weather to sync every three hours.

In conjunction with the above, I would also keep a check on what programs are unnecessarily running in the background. A lot of apps can either forcibly start up when you reboot your phone or it crashes, or not actually close down when you exit them. If those apps are pulling in data, then they're also likely draining your battery. I've simply added a shortcut to "running services" on one of my home screens, so I can quickly go in and kill any necessary apps if I notice them, and those which persist I sometimes get rid of all together.

Anyway hope I haven't rambled on too much, and hope some of the above might help you.

Back
Top Bottom