• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lost most audible notifications

old_codger

Samsung S8 - ver 9

In the last few days I've lost audible notification on a number of apps. Still get vibrations. Still get popups. Still get notifications on my S3 watch.

Interestingly, to me, is the selectivity. No longer get notifications on Gmail, but get them in TypeApp.
Don't get notifications in 'Messages' or 'Reminder,' but get them in "to do List."
Get messages in the Ring app and Wemo, but not from Lifmaster.
Get phone rings.
AFAIK, I've changed nothing. Any way to troubleshoot this?

Have you added any apps either from play store or third party recently?

Have you just restarted your S8 since these problems started happening?
Those selective, intermittent kind of problems sound more like just some kind of glitchy error that a restart will fix. And after a restart if those same problems exist at least you know it's an actual problem to look into before you start changing a lot of settings and messing with other things that might not even be necessary.

Those selective, intermittent kind of problems sound more like just some kind of glitchy error that a restart will fix. And after a restart if those same problems exist at least you know it's an actual problem to look into before you start changing a lot of settings and messing with other things that might not even be necessary.

Always... when in doubt? Reboot. Good call, Svim!

A couple of times. No difference. Checked Sleeping and Data Saver Apps. None are listed.

OK, then given that these notification issues are so selective perhaps you might have been inadvertently disabling the notifications for those apps previously? The notifications feature in Pie has become more granular so it might be a matter where you need to go into your Settings >> Apps menu, find each of those apps in question, and reset their notifications settings.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/notifications-android-9-0-pie/
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/android-9-pie-thoroughly-reviewed/2/#h3

OK, then given that these notification issues are so selective perhaps you might have been inadvertently disabling the notifications for those apps previously? The notifications feature in Pie has become more granular so it might be a matter where you need to go into your Settings >> Apps menu, find each of those apps in question, and reset their notifications settings.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/notifications-android-9-0-pie/
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/android-9-pie-thoroughly-reviewed/2/#h3

Sorry for the slow response. I've tried using digitaltrends instructions. Let's make sure I'm doing it right.

" If a notification pops up that you don’t consider important, simply hold down the notification, then tap the small information button, represented by an “i” icon, in the top right of that notification. " I'm guessing the notification 'popping up' refers to the notification I see when swiping down on the phone's screen. I can see the notification, but holding the notification results in
STATUS BAR
Allow Notifications from this category.
Details Cancel Save

I see no "small information button, represented by an “i” icon, in the top right of that notification."
Am I doing it right?

Well if you don't see the exact same thing as what's referenced in that article don't be surprised, a lot of manufacturers and carriers will 'customize' the user interface for the devices they sell. Samsung in particular. So if you see changes in your Settings menus (new or altered or missing options, or branded ones) that's just a given with Android devices -- a clean, Android-as-is phone like a Pixel will look different than a Samsung.

But getting back to your issue with some notifications not working now, I still tend to think that might be something you just need to take note of which apps are in question and check their status in your Settings menu.
You might also want to try going into your Settings >> Apps menu, find the Samsung Experience app itself (previously TouchWiz and you might need to make sure you're looking in the System level menu), and find its 'Clear cache' option, then restart your phone. Experience is the default Samsung launcher and perhaps this notifications problem might be a tied to that??? (Typically you don't need to restart after clearing an app's cache but this is a special instance involving the launcher, an app/service that's tightly integrated into the whole user interface.)

https://www.androidauthority.com/touchwiz-galaxy-s8-best-android-skin-767995/

Do you connect to Bluetooth headphones or speakers? Doesn't always happen but there's been a lot of times on my S8 when after I've turned off my Bluetooth speakers I get no sound from notifications. I assume it still thinks it's sending them to the speakers as turning off Bluetooth on my phone fixes the problem.

Do you connect to Bluetooth headphones or speakers? Doesn't always happen but there's been a lot of times on my S8 when after I've turned off my Bluetooth speakers I get no sound from notifications. I assume it still thinks it's sending them to the speakers as turning off Bluetooth on my phone fixes the problem.

Yes, I have a BT headset, but haven't used it since mid-January.

Well if you don't see the exact same thing as what's referenced in that article don't be surprised, a lot of manufacturers and carriers will 'customize' the user interface for the devices they sell. Samsung in particular. So if you see changes in your Settings menus (new or altered or missing options, or branded ones) that's just a given with Android devices -- a clean, Android-as-is phone like a Pixel will look different than a Samsung.

But getting back to your issue with some notifications not working now, I still tend to think that might be something you just need to take note of which apps are in question and check their status in your Settings menu.
You might also want to try going into your Settings >> Apps menu, find the Samsung Experience app itself (previously TouchWiz and you might need to make sure you're looking in the System level menu), and find its 'Clear cache' option, then restart your phone. Experience is the default Samsung launcher and perhaps this notifications problem might be a tied to that??? (Typically you don't need to restart after clearing an app's cache but this is a special instance involving the launcher, an app/service that's tightly integrated into the whole user interface.)

https://www.androidauthority.com/touchwiz-galaxy-s8-best-android-skin-767995/

I've found something interesting (to me). If I power down my phone and restart (as opposed to the RESTART button), all apps give audible notifications. Ummm, for 3-5 minutes, then revert back to no audible notifications. I can't find anything that would affect notifications of just the 1st few minutes.

I'll try the cache.

Back
Top Bottom