• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Love the phone but...

Few things. He came today about 3:30pm central.

1. It gets a tad warm. My other one was also but not as much. But this is more powerful. So it will I guess.

2. I have 4.2.2. My old one was 4.1.2. A little confusing. When will kitkat upgrade be available. In the mean time how do I exit apps. The old one was similar to iphone ios 7. Click right capacitive button and slide apps to the left. This version is a little different. How do you close the apps in this version.

3. How do you factory reset in 4.2.2. I accidently restored from google and all the old crap came back. Where in settings is factory reset.

4. 4G lte is great. It says in my bedroom I have 4g lte. The symbol is there anyway. But seedtest by ookla says "ping 193 - 2.21 mbps download - 1.08 mbps upload"

the stores were giving me between 16-25 download. 2 is nothing what gives. The map on tmobile says I'm right on the border of good/very strong.

But the symbol should not even be there if that there is no lte. So I have lte. But lte is way more the 2mbps.

And how do I turn off the lte and go back to 3g or 2g just to test.

Thanks.

2. I have 4.2.2. My old one was 4.1.2. A little confusing. When will kitkat upgrade be available. In the mean time how do I exit apps. The old one was similar to iphone ios 7. Click right capacitive button and slide apps to the left. This version is a little different. How do you close the apps in this version.
Right button to close the app. Home button to go to the homescreen but leave the app running.

3. How do you factory reset in 4.2.2. I accidently restored from google and all the old crap came back. Where in settings is factory reset.
Security.

4. 4G lte is great. It says in my bedroom I have 4g lte. The symbol is there anyway. But seedtest by ookla says "ping 193 - 2.21 mbps download - 1.08 mbps upload"
That depends on your provider.

the stores were giving me between 16-25 download. 2 is nothing what gives. The map on tmobile says I'm right on the border of good/very strong.
You were getting 16-25mbps in the store? Or they told you that's what you'd get? If the latter, I'd hand them the phone and say "show me" with the Ookla app on the screen. Then hear the lame excuses about that's not a real speed test.

But the symbol should not even be there if that there is no lte. So I have lte. But lte is way more the 2mbps.
Not if there are 78 other people using that face of that tower. Or they have a slow speed backhaul (connection from the tower to the rest of their system).

But granted, it should be a lot faster than 2mbps.

The odds of this phone getting 4.4 are pretty slim. the exynos based i9300 only has a gig of ram and as such is staying 4.4-less while the other sgs3's get kitkat. this device has same cpu and same amount of ram, if they were to push 4.4 there would be a massive backlash over the millions of sgs3s' they sold.

I have tmobile. One store had speed test. The other store I had to install it. He said it was ok. So it was real tests not their speech. Even the pizza place 2 or 3 miles from me was 29 and 6.66. So my house just sucks.

all i ever saw was a list that was claimed to be by samsung poland and ended up being wrong, since then i dont recall seeing anythuing remotely official saying it will be getting bumped up.

Yeah, we're supposed to get KitKat, but they don't have a date, and this phone obviously isn't high on their list of priorities. Inexpensive, not popular, only available from one carrier, etc. I'll believe the update when I see it. And then I'll probably ignore the update if it breaks SD card functionality.

2.2Mb/s download is pretty slow, especially on LTE. Ignore T-Mobile's map, and go to sensory.com (and/or download the map). Their maps are generated from user data, and you can use them to figure out where the towers actually are. What city are you in? In Tucson, the place I work is at the farthest place between 2 towers (meaning it's where the signal is the weakest), and indoors I get 11-12Mb/s, and outdoors I get 20 or so. 2.2/s is pretty awful. Awful even for 3G (if the icon on your phone says 4G but not LTE, then technically you're on 3G - HSDPA, although some call it 3.5G or 4G because it offers near-4G speeds, and faster than previous 3G).

Cool. I grew up in Geneva (about 35 miles west). My favorite childhood pizza place (Orlando's) just shut down a few days ago.:( They were the "other" Chicago style pizza (thin, cut in squares). But whenever my family made it into Chicago for a Cubs game or whatever, Lou Malnati's was always our dinner choice.

T-Mo's network in Chicago is supposed to be pretty good. I don't know why your speeds at home are so slow. Maybe there's too many buildings in the way, or you're too far from a tower. I doubt it's the phone's fault though.

Cool. I grew up in Geneva (about 35 miles west). My favorite childhood pizza place (Orlando's) just shut down a few days ago.:( They were the "other" Chicago style pizza (thin, cut in squares). But whenever my family made it into Chicago for a Cubs game or whatever, Lou Malnati's was always our dinner choice.

T-Mo's network in Chicago is supposed to be pretty good. I don't know why your speeds at home are so slow. Maybe there's too many buildings in the way, or you're too far from a tower. I doubt it's the phone's fault though.

I don't live in Chicago. I live in the suburbs.

And yes Lou Malnatis is great. Thier thin crust is awesome. My sister loves it whenever she comes to visit. But their deep dish I hate. Its good I just don't like how they load it with fresh tomatoes. I hate tomatoes. The thin crust is a sauce blend not fresh tomatoes. And its baked under the cheese like dominoes or pizza hut.

And next time you go get their loyalty card. Its 20 bucks but it all adds up and is totally worth it. And its only a one time fee. I've already racked enough points for that and an additional 20.

Back
Top Bottom