• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Low Memory Warning from Advanced Mobile Care

dlin95123

My S4 on Verizon runs KitKat and has about 40 downloaded apps, including Advanced Mobile Care. Recently, I get warning messages from AMC that my S4's available memory is low. Should I use an auto-kill app to get rid of apps that are taking up memory space?

I tried an app called Memory Booster - RAM Optimizer. It can automatically kill apps (outside a user-definable whitelist) to free up memory, when a low memory threshold (say 30%) is met. It seems to make my S4 snappier.

I am wondering if it is normal to use such app to make S4 snappier. It seems that Android OS should be doing this type of work.

Comments?

Apps in storage aren't taking RAM space. You have to differentiate between whether the app is talking about RAM space or storage space. Never manually (or with an app) kill apps in RAM in Android - Android has a memory manger that takes care of that. If you're running low on storage space, move some of your videos, music, photos, etc., to the SD card.

When you kill an app in RAM that Android needs running a little later, all you're doing is slowing down the phone later when Android has to reload that app from storage. It may seem that the phone gets faster for a short time, but the net effect is to slow it down.

I am referring to the apps in the RAM. Sorry if it was not clear. The available RAM would go down to 25% and the phone is a bit sluggish. If I use the Memory Booster app to kill active processes, it will free up the RAM and the S4 runs good for another couple of days.

My understanding was also that Android OS should perform such tasks. My guess is that it would do that when available RAM goes down even lower. If that is the case, I am thinking to purchase the paid version of Memory Booster. It can kill apps outside of a whitelist when the available RAM is lower than an user defined threshold.

Thoughts?

The S4 already has a build in app that kills and clears memory. Press and hold the home button and you should get 3 options, two of which are to close all apps and clear RAM. This should be all that you need to manage a phone that is a little sluggish. To install another app to do this is a waste of storage space IMO. Rarely do I find the need to kill apps or clear memory but the built in app does the job very well.

The Android OS is not Windows and handles these things very well all by itself. I know those in this forum don't like to hear this but, those who don't mess with their phones like this, have fewer problems.

Thanks all. I have removed the Memory Booster app, and installed the Watchdog app to monitor if any apps are malfunctioning.

Back
Top Bottom