• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Make it great

2prevail

Android Enthusiast
Anyone who has or has owned this phone knows that it is not a top tier performer. A 1 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM is incredibly dated but being with Android since 09 has let me deal with even worse phones. This phone is one of them until you tweak it right. I'm not referring to rooting because for a lot of people its not that easy (even though it is lol) but you can still get good results. My evolve currently uses minimal ram and overall memory while still keeping up with me (and I treat it like my Nexus 4). Here's how I did it...

1. Don't update the bloatware apps you don't use. (Hangouts, Chrome, Google Search, etc, have all grown to be a bit heavy and RAM dependent. If you don't use it, don't update it, make sure to turn off auto-update for them as well)

2. Download CM Browser (it is a small but fully functional browser that I honestly prefer over chrome, it has all the features you need, loads fast, and won't leave the phone slowed down.. *cough* chrome *cough")

3. Use CM Browser to replace apps that can be accessed from the web (Facebook, twitter, eBay, amazon, etc, can all be used from the web. With CM Browser you can add shortcuts to these websites to your homescreen and simply tap them like apps for CM Browser to load up. Letting the browser remember the passwords makes the experience flawless and you can even change the icon of the shortcut on the home screen to that of the actual app.)

4. Move any apps that are big on memory to the SD Card (this lowers the amount of Phone Memory used which in turn speeds up the phone)

5. Download a cache cleaner (the cache in your apps builds up overtime, I just cleared mine and freed 280MB! Most cache cleaning apps will even clean on a schedule so you won't have to worry about it)

Follow this and you'll be good! Post your ways of speeding up the phone too!

Back
Top Bottom