• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Make Profile Information Mandatory

Why? I know that's an off-topic question, but why is this important enough to you to say it should be mandatory?

I don't think it should be necessary, but before we get too far off topic here, lets end this.

If we want to continue this discussion, feel free in Suggestion Box & Feedback - Android Forums where Admin will see it and offer their opinions as well.

Reactions: D-U-R-X and Hadron
Upvote 0
I don't think it should be necessary, but before we get too far off topic here, lets end this.

If we want to continue this discussion, feel free in Suggestion Box & Feedback - Android Forums where Admin will see it and offer their opinions as well.

Well Unforgiven, I notice you say where your from, the phone you use etc, like most people here. It just seems the ones that don't have something to hide or not just sociable.

OK, I'm done.

Upvote 0
So this discussion is now it's own thread in the Suggestion Box.

My opinion is that different people have different levels of tolerance for being identified online. That includes profile pictures, avatars, locations, twitter handles, facebook pages, etc. I used to have my name as my username and a picture of my son for my Avatar. At a certain point that became a detriment to my privacy in the real world so I changed it. The other information I have in my profile I am comfortable sharing. That is good enough for me, but isn't the right fit for everybody.

As I said, that is my opinion. Any other opinions are more than welcome for discussion.:)

Upvote 0
I'd say that as we're talking on the net then such information isn't important and should be entirely up to the individual.

Of course if you make something compulsory those who don't want to share will lie (there are sites who's records show that I'm an Inuit centenarian, for example). But it also creates a bad impression, and leaves the prospective member asking "why do they require this stuff?". So I'd personally say it's in the wrong spirit to require information that's not needed, and could be offputting to many.

Reactions: KOLIO and palmtree5
Upvote 0
It has to be controlled by the individual. If it is required then there are people who will just not register.

My background is the BBS world that was 99.999999% male. The two women I met there had handles that disguised their gender. (I kept their secret.) If they didn't then private mail that they would receive would just be bewildering.

I resisted listing the carrier I use for a long time because I thought it was free advertising.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I would prefer certain level of control over what is displayed in a public forum. Mandatory details will be a major turn off .

Do I have something to hide ?
YES
Am I not sociable ?
Irrelevant .

Mostly ,if it were mandatory , I would just fake information or move over to greener pastures ...

Upvote 0
Well Unforgiven, I notice you say where your from, the phone you use etc, like most people here. It just seems the ones that don't have something to hide or not just sociable.

OK, I'm done.

Because we're a tech support forum, we regular-posters are a minority group here. Most people just want an answer to their question, ASAP, and once they get it they probably won't visit for 18 months until they need help with something else again. So, most of our members just don't care about their profile and won't invest the time finding out how to fill it in.

In my experience, people that do start to hang around will probably eventually fill in their profile, to a level with which they're comfortable. As the others here have mentioned, there are many legitimate reasons to not share personal information.

Hey SiempreTuna, you don't show what country your from, whether your male or female, your phone, nada nothing... afraid someone is gonna come rob you???

Given the availability of public records online, someone motivated to can figure out your home address with relative ease if you choose to make it easy for them by posting personal information on forums, social media, business websites and so on.

Upvote 0
I tend to view with suspicion any one who wants information they don't need.

On this forum the type, make, and model of your device/phone might be helpful to someone wanting to answer a question, but that information would be better provided in the question than in the profile since I am not limited to which device I access the forum with.

Why would you want the profile information to be mandatory? Do you use the information to build a mental picture of the person who has posted? Does the country, or gender affect how you might answer, or reply to a question?

Personally, I don't see anything that I consider too personal being asked on the profile page. My profile page is what it is for the moment, because I get a (can not connect to the server) message every time I try enter information.

Regardless, how I feel about the profile information, mandating that I provide profile information that I do not want to give would result in my no longer participating in the forum.

Reactions: palmtree5
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones