• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Managed to get myself in bit of a pickle....

androidlover9

Android Enthusiast
So recently I had likewise S5 as a custom rom on my phone and used CWM recovery (And rooted my phone beforehand to use titanium to make a back-up), after a few days of having it, I realized it was REALLY buggy, so I went back to the stock rom using sammobile to find it and odin to flash it...

That's when some problems happened... after I went back to the stock firmware, I noticed my device said the status was custom, and it still had clockwork mod whenever I went to recovery! I had to root it again to get my data back from titanium, but after I did that I got a lot of crashes and stuff from my apps...

So... how can I get rid of clockwork mod recovery, unroot my device, and restore all my data without any problems?

Any help at all would be REALLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!! :)

Thanks in advance to the amazing members of this forum :)

Most of the time it is a good idea to do a factory reset after installing a rom or even reverting back to stock.

I did like ten factory resets, it works fine then, but after I restore my data via titanium, that's when I get the random crashes and the glitch I mentioned before...

You have to start over and not use your backup.When you restore from backup the problem comes back,Right?
So forget about your TT backup and just reinstall everything.Then do another backup after your done.

You have to start over and not use your backup.When you restore from backup the problem comes back,Right?
So forget about your TT backup and just reinstall everything.Then do another backup after your done.

I have so many apps and things though lol.... my biggest worry is my contacts getting lost though, looks like I'll have to do this the old fashioned way and write them all down somewhere... actually I could just use samsung kies... hmm... I'll get back to you on that...

Some of your contacts are saved through you google account and Facebook too,And to remember which apps you had installed,Use the play store app.Open play store app and tap on your google account and my apps,Then all apps and install them from there.

sorry tried to delete this post but it won,t let me. my answer did not contain all correct info and did not want to mess you up.

Last edited:
I managed to get all my data and things up and working, no crashes with apps or anything so that's good :)

The phone works perfectly, but in settings it says device status is "Custom" still and it's still rooted with clockwork mod recovery.

Any way to get rid of CWM and root without having to reflash the stock firmware again for the 10000th time? :P

Just flash the stock recovery. Get the recovery image ( its floating around here somewhere) and use flashify to install it. To unroot just use the unroot function in SuperSU. You will never get rid of the custom status. I have Odin flashed stock and it still says custom.

Edit: if you are on virgin here is the stock recovery image. Get flashify and install it. Then unroot through SuperSU. Don't unroot first because you need root to change recovery.

Just flash the stock recovery. Get the recovery image ( its floating around here somewhere) and use flashify to install it. To unroot just use the unroot function in SuperSU. You will never get rid of the custom status. I have Odin flashed stock and it still says custom.

Edit: if you are on virgin here is the stock recovery image. Get flashify and install it. Then unroot through SuperSU. Don't unroot first because you need root to change recovery.

Sorry, but what does "Recovery image" mean?

I'm on Bell mobile, but I think they're both the same model

I don't know... I think I'll wait a year or so until I figure this all out... (See what I did there? :P)

Sorry, but what does "Recovery image" mean?

I'm on Bell mobile, but I think they're both the same model

I don't know... I think I'll wait a year or so until I figure this all out... (See what I did there? :P)
Its the disk image that contains the recovery. I'll never understand why people root before learning the basics first. All I can say is read read read. Learning more and more will make your android experience more and more fun! (And with less problems)

I think many people just root to try customisation and don't even have a clue of the bigger implications rooting and messing around with system files causes.

Patience is a virtue and a bit of reading really does go a long way, believe me when I say this, seen so many members on here have real struggles after just diving in.

I think many people just root to try customisation and don't even have a clue of the bigger implications rooting and messing around with system files causes.

Patience is a virtue and a bit of reading really does go a long way, believe me when I say this, seen so many members on here have real struggles after just diving in.

So where would I find a download for the stock recovery for my S3? idc about it being rooted really since it doesn't bug me, but I don't like how it says the device status is custom...

So where would I find a download for the stock recovery for my S3? idc about it being rooted really since it doesn't bug me, but I don't like how it says the device status is custom...
I don't know that there Is a download of it. It would still say custom anyways. You can get xposed framework, and use wanam module to change it to official.

I don't know that there Is a download of it. It would still say custom anyways. You can get xposed framework, and use wanam module to change it to official.

So how come reflashing the stock rom didn't reflash the stock recovery as well?...

Aye flashing the firmware via odin should have put you completely back to stock, including recovery...

So I managed to get rid of clockworkmod recovery somehow... I think it was because I unrooted the device?
Though, it still said the device status as custom for some reason even after I flashed it :/
I rerooted it though since I wanted to reset my counters using triangle away, and it worked but in download mode it says the bootloader AP swrev is 2

And also in download mode it says warrenty bit: 1 as one D:

Yet it says the status as official and stuff in there, but in settings it says it as custom, and it doesn't allow me to do OTA updates so I know it's not just saying that for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom