• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Many apps keep crashing after the major update of December 3

Have you tried booting into recovery and clearing the system cache partition? Not clearing all data, i.e. a factory reset - that's an option if nothing else works, but make sure you have everything backed-up before doing that - but sometimes clearing the system cache can resolve issues like this, and incompatible data in the cache is more likely after a major update. Of course not all phones have a cache partition these days, but if yours has that might be worth a shot.

Otherwise, all I can say is could you tell us which major update this is? Different phones receive updates at different times, and I've known devices receive a major update (i.e. new Android version) more than a year after it was released and after other devices are already on the version that replaced it. Hence not having your device most of us probably don't even know which android version you have been updated to.

Upvote 0
Many apps keep crashing after the major update of December 3. I am guilty of using some of my apps during that update. Now I get errors like "Google stopped working". What to do?

I lay any money that the problem is with SECURE FOLDER.. the update in December done a job on my Galaxy z fold 2 , Loads of my programs wouldn't work, There been a update but that did not fix the issue, its still n going

Upvote 0
I've also never factory reset after an OTA update, and never had any problems. It was always something I'd recommend if things misbehaved after an update and nothing else worked, but never the first resort.

The OTA update is designed to install without a reset being needed, but they can't test all possible configurations (i.e. all the different apps, settings, data that different users might have) so sometimes you might need to clear things. Custom ROMs are different: they differ more from each other and are frequently incompatible, so if you change ROMs a reset is very often needed (always if you change from a manufacturer-customised software build to something based on the AOSP) and hence best done as a matter of routine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones